Prepaid mobile connection for traveling to Singapore?

gadgetcrazy

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 2Mbps NU
I am visiting Malaysia for a couple if days and would be needing a prepaid sim. Googled a bit and found out that digi and maxis are good options. Anyone here who ha personal experience?My requirement would be free incoming and data connectivity.Also is there a way I can use my google voice credit on ipad? I know if can not be used on my android phone and it can be used with my laptop.
Dear Admin, can you please correct the spelling in the thread title?

I am just pasting a post here that describes my experiences over the last couple of years with respect to mobile options at a couple of foreign locations. 1. Hong Kong - 2010 - didn't take matrix as I had HTC Hero cdma then. A friend brought a local sim from there called smile chat chat. Weird name but very economical. Calls to India were less than a rupee per minute. 2. Spain - 2011 - got matrix. Expensive. They charged me 25 rupees per day for an incoming free sim. Outgoing calls were expensive. Bought another prepaid sim (happy movil) from there. Good cheap calls and data. 3. Singapore - 2012 - decided not to take matrix. Bought a starhub prepaid sim for about 500 from the airport. Good talk time within this money and about 300 MB data. Cheap outgoing calls to India using idd. Had free wifi in the hotel too. 4. Kuala Lumpur - 2013 - again gave up on matrix. Bought a Maxis hotlink prepaid aim for about 600. Again cheap outgoing calls using idd. 250mb data. 5. China - 2013 - once again did not take matrix. Wanted to buy China Unicom prepaid sim. But did not get time and since wifi was free in the hotel did not buy. Using Google voice credit to call phones in India (2 cents per minute) and whatsapp for im. Gtalk for video chat. Writing this message from China right now. I do not have a G voice number so I can not use my phone for it and have to use my laptop. Unfortunately no twitter, Facebook and Wikipedia in China. 🙁All in all I would say matrix isn't the best option and turns out to be pretty expensive if you want to make outgoing calls. Most of the times, you will get a cheap prepaid sim from airport or a 7/11 shop. In fact while on my way to Kl, a friend spotted a stall at the ig international airport that was selling prepaid sim cards for various countries. He bought one for kl (don't remember which provider) and it worked well there.Also free wifi comes handy to make voice / video calls. TripAdvisor is a good website where people discuss various prepaid sim options to in different countries.

gadgetcrazy said:
I am just pasting a post here that describes my experiences over the last couple of years with respect to mobile options at a couple of foreign locations.1. Hong Kong - 2010 - didn't take matrix as I had HTC Hero cdma then. A friend brought a local sim from there called smile chat chat. Weird name but very economical. Calls to India were less than a rupee per minute.2. Spain - 2011 - got matrix. Expensive. They charged me 25 rupees per day for an incoming free sim. Outgoing calls were expensive. Bought another prepaid sim (happy movil) from there. Good cheap calls and data.3. Singapore - 2012 - decided not to take matrix. Bought a starhub prepaid sim for about 500 from the airport. Good talk time within this money and about 300 MB data. Cheap outgoing calls to India using idd. Had free wifi in the hotel too.4. Kuala Lumpur - 2013 - again gave up on matrix. Bought a Maxis hotlink prepaid aim for about 600. Again cheap outgoing calls using idd. 250mb data.5. China - 2013 - once again did not take matrix. Wanted to buy China Unicom prepaid sim. But did not get time and since wifi was free in the hotel did not buy. Using Google voice credit to call phones in India (2 cents per minute) and whatsapp for im. Gtalk for video chat. Writing this message from China right now. I do not have a G voice number so I can not use my phone for it and have to use my laptop.Unfortunately no twitter, Facebook and Wikipedia in China. 🙁All in all I would say matrix isn't the best option and turns out to be pretty expensive if you want to make outgoing calls. Most of the times, you will get a cheap prepaid sim from airport or a 7/11 shop. In fact while on my way to Kl, a friend spotted a stall at the ig international airport that was selling prepaid sim cards for various countries. He bought one for kl (don't remember which provider) and it worked well there.Also free wifi comes handy to make voice / video calls.TripAdvisor is a good website where people discuss various prepaid sim options to in different countries.
To make this more interesting, can you please post how difficult it was to get a SIM Card on a Foreign Land.
Currently In India It takes 1-3 days at-least to get a new SIM Activated, is it so overseas too ???

Ok. Travelling to Thailand for a couple of days (If the political storm subsides there). DTAC is what I am planning to buy from the airport. Will write the experience here.