Disabling Auto Connect

• Thread starter Thread starter mbitz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 7,513

mbitz

HiI need to work offline often. The modem had been set to dial-up initially. When the bsnl chap came to address a complaint, he set it to the auto connect mode. I need help on disabling the auto connect and return it to the dialer mode. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

your modem has a reset hole . power on modem .
use a safety pin to press a switch in the reset hole
for about 10 seconds . your modem resets to its
default settings .
Now make a new internet dialer if you are using
win XP . if you use other OS then use raspppoe
dialer ( see raspppoe web site ) .

you may see this document for guidance : manual

no don't reset it.. just login to ur modem by typing 192.168.0.1 in ur browser and then enter ur username and password.. this is likely to be admin and admin if u havent changed or else consult ur manual.. then click on wan and then change the dial up type to bridge llc and then create a connection in windows.. search around these forums for "bridge mode" and u should find plenty of information...

@ ogtripleog : 🙂 a simple method was given above ;
& a link to user's manual was also provided for the guidance !

I was just wondering if he had any other settings that would be lost by resetting to default no offense meant 🙂

Hi,I recently got DataOne installed at my place. I managed to disable the auto connect mode of the modem after reading through this forum. But I have a query. Can I keep the modem always connected to the phone line? How much bandwidth will it cost? Currently I remove the phone line from the splitter when I don't require the net connection. Last night I had scheduled auto downloads in the night unlimited time but it cost me quite a lot bandwidth by 2 o clock. But last night my modem was set in auto dial mode. What is the difference in bandwidth used between these two modes (auto dial v/s manual connection) when the modem is idle.Thanks in advance.

^ I'd suggest to use a switch for modem's
power adaptor to switch off the power when
modem is not in use for a long time ( > 15 min )

the difference between auto-connect & manual
connect in idle condition is negligible ( abt 2KB
more in auto connect )

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, normally I keep the modem powered off. But if I schedule my downloads in the night by dialing the modem at around 2:15, I'll have to keep the modem on before I go to sleep. I hope it won't eat up too much of bandwidth during that time. I'll try it out tonight and post it here.Thanks man 🙂

^ pls see this topic : Scheduled-Downloading

If you are using windows XP & XP's dialer to connect
then you may use the following in a batch / script file .

"rasdial connectionname username password"
command connects to the net .
And "rasdial/disconnect" command disconnects .

Couldn't find this anywhere but how do I auto schedule to dial my dataone connection?

create a batch file (.bat file) with "rasdial" to connect and add it to windows scheduler

EXAMPLE
file 1 - connect.bat contains this single line === schedule it in windows to run @ 2.00 am to connect to the internet

rasdial connection-name username password

file 2 - disconnect.bat contains this single line === schedule it in windows to run @ 8.00 am to disconnect from internet

rasdial connection-name /DISCONNECT

* Here the connection-name is the name you have given for your brodband connection, while you created the dial-up connection for broadband
** Now if ur system and modem are on, it connects automatically at 2.00am, and disconnects at 8.00am, no bandwith wastage

PS: This is the best method i know, please correct me if iam wrong, and feel free to mail me - rahulramesh88@gmail.com for any direct queries regarding this 🙂