Government claims Airtel, Idea, Vodafone 3G roaming agreements are illegal

• Thread starter Thread starter anubhav11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 127
  • Views Views 27,024
OK i received a call from Airtel stating which 3g plan you wish to start after i had mailed them. Here are the plans which are offered in Maharahshtra right now :
To activate the plan of your choice, please send an SMS 3G to 121. Alternatively, you can reply to us with the choice of 3G plan for activation.
Monthly Rental Free Data Maximum Data Charges / Bill Shield Charges post free data consumption
Rs100 300 MB Rs. 200 3 Paise/10 Kb
Rs250 1 GB NA Post 1 GB charges will be 250/- per GB
Rs450 2 GB NA Post 2 GB charges will be 225/- per GB
Important information on 3G is listed below:1. Data plans are prorated, validity of 30 days will be equivalent to monthly bill cycle on postpaid.
2. 3G Data Roaming - international, will be applicable as per current 2G data rate and rules.3. The packs get auto-renewed on a monthly bill-cycle basis
4. An auto text Alert will be sent to you when your usage reaches 80% of free limit5. An auto USSD / text alert will be sent to you when your usage crosses free limit
6. To start with only on- net video calls will be allowed7. Voice over IP barred on 3G (VOIP). Example: Skype
8. On starting 3G services, any 2G data pack active on customer account will be stoppedIn case, free usage limit is exceeded, charges would apply as indicated in above table.
You may check your 3G usage by sending an SMS 3G USE to 121.Also, you may check your handset compatibility by sending an SMS 3G HS to 121.

I received message from Airtel stating they have started 3G services in MH circle. When I dialed the USSD code mentioned in SMS, I see exorbitant pricing for plans! eg. 1GB at 348 Rs. I was hoping it to be at a par with Idea and Vodafone.

1gb for Rs 348/-!!! 😱ffended: , check again, cuz the above text is from 121@in.airtel.com.

1GB 3G on prepaid basis is costing 347 Rs in MH circle. Data service portal (*121*11#) asks that amount for a said data. Confirmed by tweeting to airtel as well. Now this is ridiculous! Its almost 40% more Vodafone and Idea's pricing which is ridiculous in first place.

Airtel, Idea, Vodafone issued notices over intra-circle 3G roaming - The Times of India
Supreme Court today agreed to hear the Centre's plea challenging TDSAT's judgement that allowed 3G intra-circle roaming and issued notices to Airtel, Idea and Vodafone which were allowed to offer 3G services in areas where not all of them own 3G spectrum.
Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal had overturned a government ban on offering 3G mobile services beyond their licensed zones through roaming pacts, saying that it was in national interest to allow better utilization of scarce radio frequency.
The judgement had brought relief to Airtel, Vodafone and Idea Cellular which faced a penalty of Rs 1,200 crore for entering into pacts with each other to offer 3G services in regions where they did not win spectrum in the 2010 auction.
So this thread started in Apr 2010, and its now end of 2014, yet the case is not solved. I think there would be couple of govt change at centre until this case has been solved 😀