• Thread starter Thread starter banda
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,080

banda

~
ISP
mtnl-256kbps-unltd
hiya..alli got an mtnl 256 unlimited connection yesterday...(me in delhi)i think i m goin to b a very happy customer seeing the speeds...my sify connection was goin to take a week to dnld 3ds max(animation program~2.5gb) speeds were not exceeding 12-15kbps... but after getting mtnl yesterday aftenoon and after a few initial hickups and 20-25 hi octane calls to 1504 i got the modem switched to bridge mode and got utorrent to work..and the speed has remained constant at around 27kbps... ! 😀omg..more than 50 words in that sentence 😱btw- this particular torrent has 46 seeders and 578 leechers! so i dunno how mtnl is gettin that kind of speed the 2.5 gb dnld will finish in a couple of hours from now 😀 😀 and now for a small issue that i m facing....as i said..till now i had sify.. i have got mtnl modem connected via usb so that i can still connect to my friends who live close to my house and transfer files etc and talk on sify's LAN (in my area almost everybody is on sify..no airtel🙁)... my local cabelewallah has promised me to not to remove the lan cable from my house if i keep paying him rs30/month...now i m planning to share my mtnl connection wid a friend who lives just across the street (he will pay me rs350/month 😀.. and for him internet means two things.. orkut and yahoo messenger! ).. but the problem is that other people on my sify network might get hold of my ph no. and ca no...(by the virtue of my friend who lives across the street) and then be able to use my mtnl connection without my knoledge🙁...is there any way by witch i can grant access to my connection to only one friend???? and block others from accessing it???????PS:i know the answer to my question vud be wayyy shorter than my question itself!

i am not in mtnl now but i dont think u can share ur net connection

You can give WiFi a try. It will cost you 2.3k for buying a router and around 2k for your friend to buy a WiFi card. If you enable WAP on your router, then only those who know the key (something like password) can access net through your connection.

u can share ur MTNL connection but the hitch is u wud need a long LAN cable from ur frnds house to ur modem (as u said u use USB) also u cant use bridge mode in that ,....... u wud hav to revert back to PPPoE mode. 😛 😛as for ur security concern Dont worry at all my frnd coz ur frnds can only access ur net if they connect thru ur router/modem coz telefone nos. are Port binded by MTNL ..... so enjoy MTNL frndn thank u for dumping sify 🙂 🙂 (i hav a personal agenda against them)

arrey .. what LAN cable???.. i said na.. me and my friend 'are already' on lan. we can 'already' share files/do remote desktop/voice chat over tcp/ip, play counter strike...etc, etc...... and i m quite sure sharing internet is also possible tru ics .. but the problem is how do i restrict other people who live around my hose and are on the 'same' network , from sharing my internet???

In that case, just setup a proxy server (Samber is an easy to seup server). And install a firewall that alloes connections ONLY from your friend's PC.Sambar server has proxies for nearly all protocols.

ok thx lemme try that as soon as my friend comes bak from collg... will post my finding.. thxx 😀

read properly dude i said lan cable from his house to ur **MODEM** 😛