• Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 6,120

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Basic questions... I assume the 1999 rupee offer would work and upgrade Vista to Windows 8 Pro before January 31. Right? The computer on which this upgrade has to work is connected to the internet. So, I would be using the Microsoft's software to pay for it. The problem is that the internet on this machine is pretty slow and has a crappy FUP. So, I was thinking, downloading the ISO file on my computer. Put it on a pen drive and do an install from it instead. Questions... I need the ISO for 32bit edition of Windows 8. Would this ISO work on Windows Vista? Or there are different ISOs for different Windows editions? How exactly do I start the upgrade process? Booting from the pen drive would probably not upgrade the existing edition? The basic question is that I want to avoid the 2GB download on that laptop. Is it avoidable?

Why dont you download the ISO and then install with the new CD key which you will get upon purchase. I had installed Windows 8 to my old machine which had Vista home premium 32 bit. The ISO was downloaded in Windows 7 machine and installed through the DVD and not pen drive.

you missed the questions. where do i get the iso? how do i install from the iso? booting from the pendrive/dvd? from what i remember upgrade from vista did not restore everything... is that right? or all programs were restored too?

Oh sorry! Download windows 8 on your machine and make a DVD of it and install it via DVD booting. I believe you had saved an ISO copy when you had purchased a copy of Windows 8..Right? You can use the same copy with the new CD Key.I had done a clean installation and I dont remember if there was a option for a restore.

mine is the 64bit edition. i have the iso saved of course. but it would not work on that laptop because it has vista 32bit.

Yes, You will have to download 32bit Windows 8.

Why dont you download the upgrade assistant on the old machine and check. Another thing, When you upgrade from Windows Vista - You get to keep only Windows Settings & personal files.

Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

If you choose to start your PC from removable media that you created when you downloaded the Windows 8 upgrade files, you won’t be able to keep your apps, Windows settings, or personal files when you upgrade.

right. that's the thing. i want to run it from within windows vista. without downloading the installer on that machine. otherwise it would be a 8-10 hour wait for the download to finish when i can download it on my own connection at a faster pace.

i do not have the flexibility to bring that machine to my place so i am sort of stuck at that point.

https://imgur.com/Zzv0PzV

this is the content of the windows 8 iso. so there is a setup file. so i can probably run within windows vista install. i probably just need to find the iso for the 32bit edition.

can you check the iso file you downloaded?

can you do me a favor? 🙂 copy the iso you got into your Dropbox account and share it with me? no uploads should be required as dropbox should deduplicate it from an existing copy!

I have 64 Bit edition on both the systems -- So I didnt have to face any issue.

I dont have the 32bit installer

Should be below of the one you have highlighted in screenshot. Meanwhile let me check on desktop for the size. I have the iso lying there.

Why dont you check on the windows 8 upgrade thread. You might get someone there with 32bit version.

from what i have read on the web... vl (volume license) would not work for upgrades. so that torrent file does not have the build i want. 🙂 just looking for someone here who upgraded from 32bit vista to 32bit windows 8. i assume upgrade from 32bit windows 7 should give the same iso.