Bad News For Mtnl Mumbai Subscribers...

• Thread starter Thread starter max
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 4,844
awesome. this is where airtel and other players should jump in and profit.

Maybe they dont want to become like Airtel.....which is giving unlimited plans but dont have the bandwidth to support them.Atleast they dont throttle ur bandwidth like Airtel

that guy made u Mamu.....Mtnl has already paid for the leased line wheather it uses or not .It's using vsnl line.Problem is there are lot of corporates in mumbai paying mtnl 60000 or trib a and trib b plan users.So don't u think that those user will switch to 999 a month .so it's a huge loss of profit.This is the reason the unlimited plans are still dream but who cares!Warning:- It's just what i feel.plz do not flame with my arguments.Am not posting nor going to read again this post hence it's pointless!see ya.

The biggest problem is Competition Mtnl has 17.6 lakh buscriber in delhi(lost most of them to Airtel & Tata Walky and still decreasing) whereas it has 23 lakh in mumbai and are not dropping.I think it is mostly due to airtel present in 70% of delhi(posh colonies where revenue per line is max) whereas it has just started in mumbai!! Though hughes(tata now) wss present in mumbai it hardly made any diff as there main policy was to sell to huge corporate present there.

When I questioned why delhi users are getting? Well, his answer was simple - "Sir, this is Mumbai. Not Delhi" 😉 [/b]

Ya true, even they accept this, mumbai is a milking cow, milk as much as u want and loot .... :angry:

Since MTNL has only so much bandwidth it cant provide unlimited connections. He was like - "Sir, if we start giving unlimited schemes then we will go bankrupt within a month[/b]

Thats Crap talking from him. MTNL and short of bandwidth, haha 😀

Problem is there are lot of corporates in mumbai paying mtnl 60000 or trib a and trib b plan users.[/b]

They don't use 256kbps connections dude. They require higher speeds as they have a network of computers and not single user. So there is no question of them switching over to 256/512 unlimited plans.

They don't use 256kbps connections dude. They require higher speeds as they have a network of computers and not single user. So there is no question of them switching over to 256/512 unlimited plans.[/b]

airtel dude who visited my place told me that smaller companies are getting 10 lines of airtel 999 package to get combined bandwidth of 2 megs instead of getting a commercial package. its cheaper to get bandwidth this way than going for a bandwidth limited corporate package. do your calculations.

Maybe they dont want to become like Airtel[/b]

airtel atleast had the guts to launch unlimited package for decent prices.

they dont throttle their connection. you get the speed they promise. and they promise ATLEAST half the speed of upto 128/256 connections. if you get lower than that, they would come to your place to check and fix.

and they do not bother you if you use their packages to the max. i know coz we do that all the time and never have faced slower than usual speed. my speeds are constant. whether its the 1st of the month or the 31st.

Thats Crap talking from him. MTNL and short of bandwidth, haha[/b]

if they are already paying for the bandwidth and are not selling out the packages. they are idiots.

airtel dude who visited my place told me that smaller companies are getting 10 lines of airtel 999 package to get combined bandwidth of 2 megs instead of getting a commercial package. its cheaper to get bandwidth this way than going for a bandwidth limited corporate package. do your calculations.[/b]

Thats new to me, never thought of small companies who do such tactics to combine bandwidth and save money, but isn't the unlimited plan restricted only for home users???

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 30 2006, 11:41 PM) [snapback]67255[/snapback]
airtel atleast had the guts to launch unlimited package for decent prices.

they dont throttle their connection.
[/b]

Are you sure about that? Download a 10 MB+ file from a decent edge cache network (e.g. Akamai). Do not use any kind of download manager and let us know if you get approx full speed. You should get 30 KBps on a 256kbps line.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 30 2006, 11:41 PM) [snapback]67255[/snapback]
if they are already paying for the bandwidth and are not selling out the packages. they are idiots.
[/b]

Overselling is not a good thing. And if you look at MTNL tenders for last 3 years, they are definetly not in a position to load their network too much. A conservative estimate of 12% utilization of bandwidth by current customers puts MTNL (AND Airtel and TATA/VSNL) in bandwidth-challanged category.

If you have access to Gartner's report on Indian ISPs for 3Q-FY06 then these numbers can be varified.

Reliance is the only Indian player with its own network (It owns FLAG). For others, Airtel is dependent on Singtel, TATA is dependent on external bandwidth sellers (including FLAG).

Airtel and TATA have their own "Gateways" but they don't have any presence in international bandwidth market nor do they have Level 1 or 2 or 3 peering status.

Are you sure about that? Download a 10 MB+ file from a decent edge cache network (e.g. Akamai). Do not use any kind of download manager and let us know if you get approx full speed. You should get 30 KBps on a 256kbps line.[/b]

as i said. airtel PROMISES speeds of atleast 50% on their unlimited connections. thats a ratio of 1:2. and i do get speeds above 16K during the day time. at night speeds on torrents go beyond 45K.

QUOTE(imranais @ Oct 30 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]67257[/snapback]
Thats new to me, never thought of small companies who do such tactics to combine bandwidth and save money, but isn't the unlimited plan restricted only for home users???
[/b]

as long as you book the account with an individual's name, you can get as many lines as you want. you cannot book a home connection in a company's name.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 31 2006, 01:37 AM) [snapback]67264[/snapback]
as i said. airtel PROMISES speeds of atleast 50% on their unlimited connections. thats a ratio of 1:2. and i do get speeds above 16K during the day time. at night speeds on torrents go beyond 45K.
[/b]

Good for downloading things at night 🙂

And of course, with torrents you should get full speed on both Airtel and MTNL.

But that does not help with things like VOIP or online video, there you will get 16K at daytime.

With MTNL, you get full speed even for a single TCP connection. Only control is through ADSL line limits. If someone syncs you at 1 mbps, you will get that speed.

but where are the affordable unlimited broadband packages? where is the simplicity of getting connected within a day or two? i really hate the idea of getting a bsnl connection simply because i dont want to end up roaming around BSNL offices in gurgaon. friends have had terrible experiences with them. delays of weeks due to shortage of modems? how stupid can this reason be?airtel had the hindsight of acquring beetle and making sure that they would have a constant supply of hardware they would need for their expansion. bandwidth is another issue. if only they can acquire a company which would bring them affordable bandwidth for mass deployment throughout india. 😀

yaa, Sarkari attitude is a big problem with MTNL. Only positive thing is Uptime and Bandwidth.If you are a heavy downloader then Airtel unlimited is the best options if it is available in your area. For others, DSL NU is suffecient for downloads a few gigs once in a while.I hope, Broadband market becomes big enough for Reliance to kick in. They already have undergroung chanels for electricity wires, it wont cost too much to use the same channels for broadband.And does beetle manufacture Networking equippment as well ?

i believe they import all the stuff from china and label it here. or maybe beetle now have its own manufacturing plants in china. dunno. but all the modems and i believe phone instruments are all chinese. their earlier cordless model. i bought a GE branded unit from the market for around 2200 bucks. and airtel was providing the same set with beetle labeling on it in the market 3 months later. for 1000 bucks. sucked. 😉 considering the GE unit has stopped working now. their current cordless model is excellent. 😀