• Thread starter Thread starter Outlander
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 6,719

Outlander

Regular
ISP
BSNL
I'm thinking of upgrading my computer, and I'm going to buy a new monitor. Is there any real difference between a full HD TV and a full HD monitor, apart from the fact that the TV can show the TV? Will buying a TV and plugging it to a computer be the same as a monitor?🙂

we have already discussed this before. most television sets do not have a resolution comparable to cheap LCD panels. i guess if you buy a LCD TV with an excellent resolution, it might work well as a computer display. but it might be hard to find the resolution supported by televisions available in the market. :\i mean 1080p resolution on a 32 inch television would look horribly bad on a computer. 4K television sets on the other hand... might not be that bad. 🙂

what i am saying is that it is easy to find 1080p resolution on cheapo lcd panels. Dell charges around 50K for a 27" display but it has a resolution of 2560x1440 i believe. you can possibly buy a much larger television in this budget but the resolution would suck in comparison so the user experience would be terrible.the two devices you linked to. both have a resolution of 1920 x 1080. i am not sure if the television would give you a similar user experience as the lcd panel. considering they are around the same size and have same resolution.i mean... televisions are primarily designed to be watched from a longer distance. computer monitors on the other hand are designed to be used from a close range. so the display panels might have a major difference. but i am not sure of any. so i guess, more research would be advisable.

three advantages I can think of for the Philips model:1) You get built in speakers.2) Has a USB port in which you can put in a pendrive/external HDD and watch movies without switching your PC on (the reviews say it can even play 1080p mkv files)3) two HDMI portsbut the Dell has an IPS display so it should have better viewing angles and should be slimmer.So if your usage is purely as a computer monitor(you already have standalone speakers) and would always be using it while sitting in front of it as a monitor, then getting the Dell makes more sense. But say you also want to use it as a TV occasionally. (Watching movies from afar, just plugin the pen drive and watch and then use the remote to shut it off or maybe connect an extra device like a gaming console because it has 2 HDMI ports) then the Philips one makes more sense.

The difference will be PPI. TV sets will prolly have a low PPI than a Monitor which will result in low clarity.Smartphones are generally used at a closer distance than Monitors so they have a higher PPI than Monitors

@manu I thought DTH made the tuner inside a television set pretty useless for most of us already? 😀 but then a computer monitor makes for a poor replacement of a television set because STBs i believe do not have regular audio ports to connect them to computer speakers? @ashish i thought ppi was directly connected to the resolution and display size? which would be pretty close in these two devices as they feature the same resolution and have pretty similar sizes too.

@ashish - But for the choices he has selected, both the size and resolution are same, So PPI will not be a factor.@chromaniac - yes. that's why I didn't mention having the analog TV tuner as one of the advantages.I am presuming that computers can also output audio via the HDMI to the TV.

720p on 32 inches would look crap. No one needs to test it out. The question is 1080p capable monitor and television of the same size (hence same ppi). I cannot really say if the tv would be as nice to look as the monitor.