Call drop on Reliance CDMA after exactly one and a half hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitavaguha

Hi All,I am on a Reliance CDMA connection and using a Nokia 6275i handset. One thing I have observed is that when I am having long calls, the call invariably drops exactly after one and a half hours. This happens each and every single time the call duration reaches that point. This is irrespective of whether I call a land line or a mobile and on-net or off-net.I have experienced this at least for the past several months, and every time I have called up the Customer Care they have not been able to explain this and have told me that there is no call time limit placed by CDMA. They have not been able to explain any network congestion as well that could cause this. And as expected, they never logged a complaint or tried to investigate the matter.Has anyone else experienced the same / similar problem? Does anyone know the underlying reason and the possible resolution?~Thanks in advance

Even this happens with me also, call get disconnected by network, i have used almost all mobile operators, it happened with me on airtel network, aircel and now a days it is happening with me on reliance CDMAi believe there will be no solution for that as per my experience.

It's not a call drop. It's some programming from backend which terminates calls after every 90 minutes. And it's happening since the day reliance infocomm was launched. I had to redial by gf during college days every 90 minutes. 😀

Guys, thanks for your responses.IndianMascot, if what you are saying is right, what has Reliance got to gain from this practice? Is it some technical hard-coding they did during the good old days of Dhirubhai Ambani unlimited calling plan, and now carrying it forward like the Y2K problem without fixing it?

This is by design. Think of it as a kind of Fair Usage Policy. Even Uninor has a similar 60-minute 'Fair Usage Policy' in place.

I think this is not a fair use policy but required for billing purposes (and a few other reasons).
let me try to explain with an example. You have 200 minutes free in a billing cycle and your billing cycle starts on begin of 15th of the month.
You initiate a call at say 2040hrs of 14th of the month

now imagine you talked for 400 minutes
and disconnected.

Technically you used 200 minutes (2040hrs to 2400hrs) of the billing cycle
and 200 minutes of the new cycle.

however how to the billing happen? how do the settlement happen?
this is just you, imagine if the call was to another operater. then the whole cycle of inter operator billng etc also need to happen. (classic problem that many people face on BSNL and AIRTEL fair use policy internet plans)

Thanks to the batch processing and multiple layer of systems nothing happens on instant... a call that you made today using mobile might hit billing system in a minute or even a few days. this is the reason why billing in post paid does not happen instantly. Yeah now people will say what about the prepaid. in prepaid it is just the balance deduction that happens instantly all other things like inter operator billing, CDR log retention etc would take time.

lastly, from the customer perspective, imagine you forgot to lock the phone (or say both parties forgot to hang the phone), imagine if this feature is not there what would be the cost of that call.

Lastly there are many internal timers in the system, the GSM technology is OLD... check the processing power of year 1995-2000 when GSM came.. maybe the protocol is such that the timer beyond that figure is not possible and hence all the operators have some conservative cutoff (ever tried booting a system, android phone, camera which have its primary storage full... no one can guarantee you a safe experience)

just my 2 cents, not sure what is the actual reason, and i too some time do not like it especially when you have to attend over 2 hours of conference call from your mobile.

iChaitanya, amit_arya, thanks a lot for your responses.amit_arya, what you say makes sense. I have a new Vodafone connection as well, and it allowed me a maximum call time of precisely 3 hours at one go. I guess this is one of those things, where you have to be on the inside to know the real story.

Guys, thanks for your responses.

IndianMascot, if what you are saying is right, what has Reliance got to gain from this practice? Is it some technical hard-coding they did during the good old days of Dhirubhai Ambani unlimited calling plan, and now carrying it forward like the Y2K problem without fixing it?

This could be the reason because Reliance was the 1st to introduce Unlimited Calls on Home Network. So, to keep cell sites free for few seconds, this might be the coding. Another reason which was told by my Networking friend long time back that these coding are done to cut accidental calls i.e suppossed if call didn't got disconnected by mistake will lead to huge billing if remained active. So, system disconnects all calls after the specific time period in all operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.