Multiple Connections?

• Thread starter Thread starter TCP/IP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,563

TCP/IP

Since unlimited downloads are only available on 256Kbps plans, will they give more than 1 connection to a home user? I'll be moving to the city after which I'll be able to get broadband and I'm considering taking 4 X 256Kbps lines so I can get around 1Mbit speed in BitComet (Torrent).

first, u also get unltd dwlds at 128kbps(home699) second home 999 plan costs 999p.m and if u take 4 of `em that wud be 3996 p.m , dude r u seriously willing to pay 4k p.m 😱???anyways thats ur decision. Waise i seriously doubt that u wud get 1mbps by take 4x256 connections on a single pc, i think u wud still get only 256 kbps.

I am sure they would give you the connections, but they would most probably give you 4 wires at 256kbps (and 4 telephones) and not just give you 1 Mbps unlimited on one connection. Then it's up to you figure out how to connect then all to the same computer at the same time. (probably will require buying some hardware).

also don't forget, on each connection you probably will only get 24KB/s or so... so 4 connections would mean say a maximum of 100KB/s or 800kbps... not 1 Mbps.

On top of that your internet bill (including tax) would be 4 X Rs. 1121 = Rs. 4484!!!! Seems like a waste of money to me.... are downloading torrents that important to you?

I'm online witha dialup for almost 24/7 and paying close to 10000. So 4K a month seems to be a great deal. If I'm getting 100K average speeds on torrents, thats more than enough.Do you think it would work the same way on DC++ when I'm uploading/downloading multiple files?What kind of hardware will I require?

You can establish more than one connection from the same modem so long as you have the unlimited plans. But you can't use them all on one PC at the same time. You can however hook up more than one PC to the same modem and get connected to the net.Even the scenario you are giving is not possible unless you purchase some really expensive routers that can bind several connections together. On a single PC only one connection can be used as active.

u can use softwares like wingate. or get a cheap linux box use something like iptables. u wont however get a single stream of combo bandwidth. torrents and download managers might be able to use the bandwidth together.

QUOTE(TCP/IP @ Oct 30 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]67176[/snapback]
I'm online witha dialup for almost 24/7 and paying close to 10000. So 4K a month seems to be a great deal. If I'm getting 100K average speeds on torrents, thats more than enough.
[/b]

10k....hmm good keep it up 😉 :lol: :lol:, but u gotta consider trying a single 256kbps connection first and if u feel its slow then go for so much trouble.

i went from 28.8k to 3000k a few years ago when i went abroad and when i came back i was back to 64k :lol:

QUOTE(TCP/IP @ Oct 30 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]67176[/snapback]
I'm online witha dialup for almost 24/7 and paying close to 10000. So 4K a month seems to be a great deal.[/b]
What the hell are you doing that justifies spending Rs. 10,000?!?!? (I am assuming that was not a typo, however incredulous that figure seems to be).

I've moved to my HomeTown in March and out here there is no broadband service available in this area. Even the local cable companies said it would be here only in another 2 or 3 years. I used to be on a 512Kbps before that when I was in bangalore. Even after coming here, internet usage is still the same. Just that its costing me too much. Because of the expenses on the internet alone, I decided I could spend 4K for the internet, and get myself a flat for the next month.

Once I move to the city, getting a broadband will be no problem. Anyway below you can see a screenshot of DUMeter showing the usage if you think I'm bullshitting.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/4208/dumeterqa0.png

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 30 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]67197[/snapback]
u can use softwares like wingate. or get a cheap linux box use something like iptables. u wont however get a single stream of combo bandwidth. torrents and download managers might be able to use the bandwidth together.
[/b]

Is this different from whats available from wingate.com? Thats proxy software. How does that do load balancing? I asked a friend today and he said load balancing cannot be done on XP. What good will it do if I get a cheap linux box? I have two other computers that I can use but I'd still want the connections available on an XP Machine.

Combining multiple connections in one big pipe is possible (but difficult) on XP.I had posted steps for doing the same on Linux sometime back, that should help you out.All your net connections will terminate on Linux box. And from linux box, you can give one big connection to XP box.