Ubuntu for Smartphones Announced

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 17,466
So Galaxy nexus is going to get it first, hopefully it comes to nexus 7 next.

How can you comment like that without even using Ubuntu for Phones?.

I think that comment was meant to describe Ubuntu on Nexus 7.

Looks nice. Though the only platform that tempts me to jump the ship from iOS is Windows. I hope this has a healthier life than Maemo and Meego.

How can you comment like that without even using Ubuntu for Phones?.

i was talking about ubuntu for tablet which is different from what the video above shows. and even the phone version has a crappy future.

they plan to release builds for existing android devices. and hoping that some manufacturers would be interested in bundling it as the default OS on phones.

good luck with that. we all know how popular ubuntu is on the desktop. what makes you think that it would become popular on smartphones?

the demo they showed looks good and all. but anyone can come up with a cool looking platform. palm did it with webos. Nokia did it with meego.

the only segment they have something for is the ability to carry a fully functional desktop os on a smartphone. you connect it to a dock and you get a desktop powered by your phone.

that market for this is not big enough. motorola tried it with docks for their android devices. fine, ubuntu has proper desktop apps. but how many of those apps can actually run at usable performance on a smartphone processor? how big is a market for such devices?

and they are only going to be able to launch builds later this year. first generation devices are expected in the last quarter of this year or first quarter of next year. good luck with that timeline. one year changes a lot. nokia wasted a year on meego and then wasted a year on windows phone. palm literally got killed because of the development cycle on webos. microsoft had their own issues with delays in windows phone.

i guess i am going to sound again like an android fanboy. but ubuntu's smartphone os has as big a future as they currently have in the desktop market. beh.

it does look good though. they combined the best elements from web os and meego. two of the several mobile platforms we have seen in the recent years that i really really liked and felt sad to see their demise. i wish canonical best of luck and would be very pleased if they can prove me wrong!