Aol Is Planning To Launch Isp Service In India

• Thread starter Thread starter netfreak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 5,684
AOL is a big time failure in the US, where they had been keep their A** above water using Dial-ups.. They had been making money from the people who didnt want to give away their email ids

AOL is bad compared to other US services, But it is head and tails better than any Indian customer service. And many think AOL is dying, dead, old hat and other things, but it started off as a 2 man operation and they started off with a browser and user interafce in the late 80's for a computer called a C64 no less with 64K of ram.... They ended up buying Time Warner, the largest media conglomerate in the world in less than 15 years. Just like no one likes microsoft, yet in 20 years it has become the largest company in the world by market cap. Biiger than a company like GE which makes nookoolear missiles that can find the gray hairs on osama fired from their own nookoolear submarines which were dropped near afghanistan from their flying B1 nookoolear capable stealth boombers all financed by taking out a loan from their own bank.. No one thought AOL would survive, I didnt either... And no one thought microsoft would survive... I didnt either... Yet what I think is irrilivant.. Those who thought other wise and spent a few thousand bucks buying their stock in 1990 are many times millionares now. I am not...

AOL is confusing. I am not sure what they are...1. An ISP2. A software company3. A content company4. A company which runs on advertising revenues...Another thing. Time Warner changed its name from AOL Time Warner to Time Warner for a reason I think...

QUOTE(AlienTech @ Nov 6 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]67885[/snapback]
like GE which makes nookoolear missiles that can find the gray hairs on osama fired from their own nookoolear submarines which were dropped near afghanistan from their flying B1 nookoolear capable stealth boombers all financed by taking out a loan from their own bank..
[/b]
Were you alluding to the Bushism nukuler

they are a crappy isp but aol broadband is much faster than any indian solution.. i wouldn't buy their service for anything but let's hope that their introduction can bring about some competition and will force bsnl and the others to provide true broadband connections..

someone has to explain it to me. how can an American company get us THE broadband which the Indian companies have failed to do so.won't they have to face the government bureaucracy?won't they have logistical problems of spreading their operations throughout India or even the major cities?won't they be rather interested in service corporate customers which are actually profitable than get into competition with bsnl/airtel which are at a much better position to compete against any new company.its not like AOL has a magic band that they can cover all the major cities in one go and get you 'cheap' broadband. broadband which is cheaper than what our current ISPs are providing us.and considering they use India to serve their customers in the USA. i guess they would be hiring Africans to answer our tech-support calls.can we really have some practical discussion here?which American company has landed in India and made things better for us?Pepsi and coke came... cold drinks cost 10 rupees now.mcD came... burgers now cost like 50 bucks now.fine. they have some standards of quality. but they did not need the tubes to deliver the stuff to the remote areas of india. AOL would need that.and mcD gets me another stupid logic here. their Indian maharaja burgers are like 40% of the American size i have heard...

it's not because it is an american company... it's because they will bring in more competition.. they're a big company and hopefully they gonna have some new schemes going initially to attract their customers and HOPEFULLY this will cause bsnl airtel and the like to introduce some new packages of their own.. that's what i mean 🙂

Yeah, I fail to see the logic too - somehow if an American company comes here they will bring about super duper high speeds, and great customer service.... while it's going to be the same people who man their customer service as do for Airtel, MTNL etc., and the same factors as Sushubh listed would hold back their ability to provide super fast connections.... On the other hand, because they have to repatriate profits of an American standard, I would say their prices are bound to be much much more than domestic ISPs.To me it's just another illustration of our irrational seduction with the concept of "America" and the "great American life."

well, If the Indian ISPs are selling 256k bandwidth at 900 pere month unlimited, theres Americans are not fools for sure to come and start selling anything higher at the same price.. these companies come here for business.. 95 percent households are yet to get a broadband connection in India, which they are here to tap.. What makes you think, this will cause a revolution in the industry? All Indian ISPs have enough bandwidth at the moment, more beng added continuously.. nobody is running short, but with the IT sector ever increasing, the demand is on a constant rise, and thats why we dont get to see sharp falls in bandwidth prices for consumer. All i feel is, AOL will just be one more player who RAN the race..

well let's wait for them to come then.. i didn't say or even imply that an american company would bring in high speeds.. just that competition is good.. look what airtel did to sify.. they can't make the broadband situation worse than it is already can they.. peace out

Market cap of AOL is larger then combined market cap of Bhart, MTNL and VSNL.

What does it have that MTNL/Airtel don't?

1. Money
2. Technical capability
3. Focus on comsumer broadband

And yes, it has challanges in terms of last mile. But those can be overcome in big cities if you have money.

And even if they fail, thats allright.

Its presence will force Airtel / MTNL to move faster in their operations. Some good things "might" happen:

1. Airtel might be forced to inject more money in buying bandwidth
2. MTNL might be forced to move at a better pace in its purchasing process
3. VSNL/AOL might investigate things like WiMax/WiFi combination for last mile
4. Normal people might recognize need for broadband if AOL spends $$$ on adverts

If ANY of things will happen or not, I don't know.

But one more player (and one with DEEP pocket http://www.google.com/finance?cid=655621) is definetly a good thing in current market.

look what airtel did to sify[/b]

i have no reasons to believe that airtel resulted in sify getting any better.