Bsnl&mtnl's Share Falls Below 40%

• Thread starter Thread starter qwerty
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,753

qwerty

According to latest numbers from GSM and CDMA lobby groups, the share of BSNL & MTNL combined in the total number of phones in India (both landlines and mobiles) is below 40%. I had earlier reported in my blog that, MTNL & BSNL's combined share went below 50%. That was just few months ago. In a short span of time, it is now below 40%!For more, visit my blog.

i really doubt these statistics.

That's good. When their market falls below 20% they will start providing free intra circle calls and then will start another telecom tariff war..🙂

mee too...i dont think so that their share is gonna fall so low so easily! there are suckers for low tarrifs and BSNL/MTNL just provide that 😛

even I doubt these stats. MTNL has started regaining customers because of Triband and BSNL always was there up because of its reach and low tariffs.So I term this stats as "Crap" unless offcourse u give me some valid source for this info...

I ran a rough check. And these numbers look possible.All numbers are in mnNumber of BSNL subscribers (landline+GSM+CDMA) = 55.2# for MTNL = 5.8Total number of cell users in India (GSM+CDMA) = 116Market share of BSNL/MTNL in GSM (23+4) = 27%Non BSNL/MTNL cell users = 84.6That putes BSNL+MTNL's market share to be ~42%.

u are saying that india now has double the cell phone users compared to landline users?

in case of mobile telephony BSNL/MTNL have a very low market share agreed but in terms of Fixed phones I dont think BSNL/MTNL can have a low share, they still hold the highest market share.

Its surprising to see that the mobile subscribers are double compared to fix line subscribers.

I guess the total of fixed+mobile subscribers brings down BSNL/MTNL in terms of market share!

Its not that surprising to me.

In an average family, there will be 1 landline.
But there will be one cell per earning member and per collage going student.

QUOTE(imranais @ Oct 27 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]66857[/snapback]
in terms of Fixed phones I dont think BSNL/MTNL can have a low share, they still hold the highest market share.
[/b]

BSNL is loosing landline customers at rate of .3 MN per month (and this number is after adjusting for new connections in the same period). And private operators are gaining that share.

MTNL is even worse since Tata is eating away corporate customers in delhi/bombay. Can't share actual numbers since that data is not public, but it is horrific.

QUOTE(imranais @ Oct 27 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]66857[/snapback]
I guess the total of fixed+mobile subscribers brings down BSNL/MTNL in terms of market share!
[/b]

Yes thats what first post in this thread talks about.

they would become sick government entities. government would fuse money they get from taxes we pay. in the end they would be privatized. or maybe not. mtnl became the first company in india to offer iptv. bharti has been testing it since quiet sometime. mtnl launched it first. now that's good news.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 27 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]66827[/snapback]
u are saying that india now has double the cell phone users compared to landline users?
[/b]
Would not surprise me. Every tom, dick & harry has a cell phone nowadays.

Sometimes they have phones that are worth more than they make in a month's pay, thats the part which is surprising.

QUOTE(imranais @ Oct 27 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]66888[/snapback]
But I think they launched it in a big haste. Service has not yet started though...
[/b]

any government initiated service is going to have starting hiccups. so even if they start is like after 10 months, some surprises would be there. for everyone.

Sometimes they have phones that are worth more than they make in a month's pay[/b]

that's call center culture for ya...

one of my friend worked 3 motnhs in a call center to buy a razr. now he can buy 5 of them with one month's pay. 😀