India Gets Its First 1 Gbps Internet Connection!

• Thread starter Thread starter ganesh177
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 4,590

ganesh177

Regulars
ISP
BSNL broadband

Saturday, December 01, 2012: Internet search giant Google, recently, launched its 1 Gbps (1000 mbps) at Startup Village, Kansas City, a leading tech incubator in US, as part of the Google Fiber Network. Now, it is India's turn to get this speed. Kerala-based Startup Village, the India’s first telecom incubator, now has a newly-laid 1 Gbps (gigabits per second) connectivity. You can download a two-hour high definition movie in 30 seconds or view a video in YouTube at this lightning speed!

Startup Village of Kochi has beocme the second place in the world, after Kansas City of United States, to experience this ultra-fast connectivity, that is all set to revolutionise the internet experience of the netizens in the coming days. By switching on the trend-setting connectivity within a few days, Startup Village has taken a major leap forward to emerge as the largest telecom incubator in the world.

The facility was formally introduced on 17 November 2012 by the state Chief Minister Shri Oommen Chandy, giving a shot in the arm to Startup Village for its mission to churn out world-class startups from Indian campuses.

"Startup Village aims to build the elements of a world class tech ecosystem to realize the dream of a Silicon Coast in India. The vision at this grandiose scale is driven by one of India's most successful IT entrepreneurs, Kris Gopalakrishnan, co-founder of Infosys and powered by Dept of Science and Technology, Govt of India. The Startup Village at Kochi is the first location of this national pilot, which would be replicated to other parts of India in the coming months," said Sanjay Vijayakumar, chairman, Startup Village in a statement.

Any idea when this will hit all over the india and we can get (not 1gbps) but atleast 100mbps connections in our home ???

badly written article [ plus lots of typos too 😛]

Startup Village of Kochi has beocme the second place in the world, after Kansas City of United States, to experience this ultra-fast connectivity, that is all set to revolutionise the internet experience of the netizens in the coming days. By switching on the trend-setting connectivity within a few days, Startup Village has taken a major leap forward to emerge as the largest telecom incubator in the world.

high^^ or a person with 0 knowledge , tons of places have 1gig home connections , i have been on one for the 2 years now , E.U, Korea, Japan, China, esp H.K , etc ...it is really common, and even in India, many business houses, govt agencies are connected to extremely fast pipes but dunno if it even going to reach a home connectivity in next 10 years even.

Yup. Kansas is definitely not the first place to get one Gbps internet connectivity.

We have 1gbps connection in out institute.. That shit is fast.. even with 500 students..

They are probably talking about home connections. 🙂

Or was it supposed to be an initiative to cover the entire City of Kansas with 1Gbps network, or at least most of it - So meaning the first city to get 1Gbps coverage overall, but then again if my memory serves right most of the Japanese suburb's already had this for quiet some time now

We have 1gbps connection in out institute.. That shit is fast.. even with 500 students..

Which institute?

How can I enroll in that institute? 🙂

1 Gbps for the whole startup village! Not a big deal.

You being from kochi, can you tell more about it ?
Pricing and all.

Any idea when this will hit all over the india and we can get (not 1gbps) but atleast 100mbps connections in our home ???

2030 I presume. from the way things are going. When we do have, we will have 1 Gbps speeds with 500 MB FUP.
:biggrin:

Just jokin!

You being from kochi, can you tell more about it ?
Pricing and all.
This is not a home connection!
Startup village is business incubator facility offered by the Govt of Kerala for telcom/tech startups. So the startup village will be housing many companies. I think the connection will be shared for them. There are lot of corporates working with 1Gbps leased line. So it won't be the second in the world. Probably the guy who wrote the article has no idea of these things.

This is INDIA. Never expect a 1 Gbps link in your home, atleast for 50 years 😀

Which institute?

How can I enroll in that institute? 🙂

lol. Well i am at School of Planning and Architecture (Opp DDA Building at ITO). Undergrad Admission = AIEEE, postgrad = GATE + Folio

On personal experience, any institute by MHRD has very fast connection. Provider is NIC. I guess it's also owned by govt?

Firstly, Proud to be an Indian...Secondly, Hopefully we get some serious speeds at decent rates..