Solid State Drives and Hybrid Drives Future of PC Storage

• Thread starter Thread starter peak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 911

peak

ISP
PPPP
I recently brought a Solid State Drive SSD of Kingston 128GB Sata 2 (3Gbps) for 6K, after formatting i got about 119GB of usage Space and i was all excited putting inside my Desktop, after putting it and loading Windows 7 With Service pack 1 and Updates via Microsoft website i was shocked, my booting time of my PC was reduced from 1minute in a normal rotating 500GB Segate drive to about 10seconds in my SSD and what more it just took 10second to copy a files of 2GB and my all high end games loading times increased like about 40 to 80%, i am simply amazed, SSD technology should capture the Storage market from now on, it's really a very good technology for adopting Computer Storage.🙂

yeap. it is good idea to use a ssd as your primary disk and install your os and primary software on it and use traditional hard disks for storing data. just that these are still pretty expensive. you need a minimum of 100-200GB just for OS and software these days.

the price is still prohibitive. for 6k, you can get a 2TB HDD, so that's almost 16 times more space.

well it is a solid investment for programmers who develop apps that take minutes/hours to compile. brian moved to a sdd for his primary partition few months ago and he said it saves him practically hours on a weekly basis.of course it makes little sense to buy them to store movies or music or regular files.

of course it makes little sense to buy them to store movies or music or regular files.

That's what WD Greens are for anyway 🙂
I seriously cannot imagine going back to a traditional HDD on either my laptop or desktop now, the difference in the OS being more "responsive" is quite good to get used to. 🙂

it's like moving to 3g from 2g! :encouragement: