• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 8,241

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
Got a mailer and also noted at the website. But wanted to check if some other bank is affected/all banks affected

As per RBI guidelines, there have been certain changes made to the cheques issued by the Bank. However, these changes are available only in chequebooks issued after August 2011. If you have obtained the chequebook prior to this, the cheques will not be valid after December 31, 2012.

If the cheques you currently hold have the following features, they will be valid after the given date.

"Please sign above" is mentioned on cheque leaf on the lower right-hand side.
A wave like design is embossed on the left-hand side of Cheque leaf
Click here to see the new cheque format.

Additionally, any post-dated cheques issued by you and due after December 31, 2012 will need to be replaced by the fresh cheques meeting the above mentioned guidelines.

Request for a new chequebook through NetBanking, MobileBanking, SMS Banking, PhoneBanking or the nearest branch.

This is applicable for all banks.

Hmm.. Wonder how I missed it. I expect some confusion from people after Dec 31. It will be worse as banks are likely treat these older cheques as bounced/invalid cheques and start charging people, even while most are unaware.

However, these changes are available only in chequebooks issued after August 2011. If you have obtained the chequebook prior to this, the cheques will not be valid after December 31, 2012.

If the cheques you currently hold have the following features, they will be valid after the given date

blah blah...

What does these lines mean? They have made it so confusing.

Why not simply say, cheque books issued before Aug 2011 will be invalid and after will be valid.

Or do I have to further cheque the cheque books issued after Aug 2011.

Well, they may have simply continued to dump old cheque books to some people, hence they want to take a precaution.

A friend from rourkela told me most banks in his city are still issuing old cheque books.

Hmm.. just checked.. i got new ones.one headache less! 😀

I was referring to what admin replied about his friend in rourkela - like most banks in his city, HDFC too may have issued some old cheques, hence that precautionary statement.