• Thread starter Thread starter agantuk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 32,923

agantuk

Bhatakti Aatma
ISP
N/A
I believe this thread belongs here. Many here would know that I have been a Spectranet user for some time now. The prime reason I had gone with them was because they had no FUP - that was in fact their USP, apart from the fact that their plans were pretty cheap (1 kbps unlimited without FUP for 599). That, until this September. That month, not only did they increase their rates - still competitive enough at 749 for 1000 kbps unlimited, BUT with a freaking FUP of 25 GB, and a post FUP speed of a damned 256kbps. The underdogs had joined hands with the biggies.

I persisted due to lack of a better alternatives till I saw small adverts of this company called Nextra. They claimed to be providing 100 Mbps. It got me interested and I checked their website out for plans. The first thing that hit me was the similarity they had in their approach to designing plans with that of Hayai - speed + usage. There were no unlimited plans but at least they gave the option of buying additional GBs for a moderately acceptable amount. Being fiber, I checked availability, and as luck would have it, my society was one of those which was 'enabled'. Contacted them, gave the 500 deposit (adjusted against first month bill) and took the 10Mbps plan with a 15 GB top up for a total of 30GB (this can be changed every month on demand). All at 1399 + taxes. I don't mind. Seriously. Symmetric speed is totally worth it. Once the usage limit is reached (in my case 30 GB), I can either buy more GBs, or get 'downgraded' for the rest of the month to 512kbps. Better than 256kbps, and like I said, fiber is totally worth it.

Since people are curious, screenshot below (notice the distance from location), and website link at the end.

I am curious though as to how they provide the IPs. I am currently shown to be in London and do have some problems accessing some India specific content on YouTube, however I can work those around so they aren't a show stopper for me.

Nextra :: Home

I would definitely be interested in what mgcarley has to share about these guys. I have been told by the Nextra people that Radius is their 'parent' company, and that Subash Chandra (Zee) is behind this.

Too bad this service is not available in my area and there is no hope also that my area will have it in near future. Radius has been operating in Delhi NCR since last 2 years or so but they have managed to cover all of 25-30 societies in that time. Looks like they are interested in covering only societies with apartments for now and not the independent homes built on small plots.Any way good for those who can get this service. 🙂

Nextra seems to be spreading in the newer sectors as well so that's cool. i am not exactly sure if these sectors are made up of societies or individual houses.

Interestingly - since I mentioned I have doubts on the actual landing station - Google notified me of 'suspicious' login from a location in US. I know it is me, because that IP was what I had when I first signed in. I am not sure if these guys are 'breaking' any rules as such.

The availability has a lot to do with the deals they crack with the RWA than any logistical limitations. I know for a fact that a lot of money exchanged hands when it was done in our society. For instance, just in my locality, I see only the societies with larger RWAs (and bigger budgets) listed - like there is a society sandwiched between ours and another which isn't listed, however the other two are.

well you definitely got lucky this time around!

Interestingly - since I mentioned I have doubts on the actual landing station - Google notified me of 'suspicious' login from a location in US. I know it is me, because that IP was what I had when I first signed in. I am not sure if these guys are 'breaking' any rules as such.

lol. have you tried accessing hulu? 😀

well you definitely got lucky this time around!

Second time I would say. Earlier I had the unlimited Airtel plans, and I managed to avoid getting into the FUP dirt till I actually changed cities. Once here, I chanced into Spectranet as Airtel was too 'busy' to give me a connection. And just when Spectranet started FUP, these guys came 😀

hehe. hulu works in uk too i think 😀

I get messages saying content is only for the United States. Checking if there is something for UK

On a related note, this site is slow from the UK 😛

Try using 'Media Hint ' add-on in firefox or sign up for free trial of unotelly as is mentioned in the other thread. That will be a good test of your ISPs network and bandwidth quality. After all what is the use of FTTH connection if you didn't use it for streaming movies? 🙂

https://broadband.forum/web-services/83784-unodns-pretty-cheap-way-access.html

UnoDNS™ - Watch Netflix USA, Hulu, Pandora, BBC iPlayer, and more in anywhere you live!

Also is this ISP hanging its fiber from the trees and electricity poles or are they building underground network like the Airtel does? Are they bring fiber direct to your home or is it fiber to a box somewhere in your society and from there a Cat-5 LAN cable? What kind of CPE they are providing? Post some pics of the CPE.

We should be able to see and feel the CPE in pics even if we are doomed to rot while waiting for upload to complete ar 400 kbps on an Airtel 4 mbps ADSL connection. :sarcastic:

i checked the locations in gurgaon, all of them are societies with flats. so i imagine the wiring should not be a problem in his area.