• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 4,466

nickd

Rogue
ISP
MTNL ADSL 10Mbps
Hi,

I am currently on DSL_Unlimited_995_Combo. (Rent Free Phone with no calls included) @ INR 995 a month
Initially when bought, it was 1 Mbps unlimited fixed day/night down and up of 0.5 Mbps day/night. (NO FUP AT ALL)
Now 6 months later they have upgraded it to 1 Mbps unlimited fixed day, 2 Mbps unlimited night and upload of 0.5 Mbps day/night. (NO FUP AT ALL)

I'm presently quite happy as Night is now 2 Mbps. For now its okay, best bang for the buck for me at 1K INR.

Speed Test Below @ 1.15AM Night Speed 23rd November 2012
https://www.speedtest.net

Now, I want to upgrade to a better speed connection from MTNL.

Currently, I have two choices.

A) Upgrade the DSL plan to this , Xpress Non Combo Unlimited 2000 (Add 200 or 250 INR + maybe for Telephone rent or something, not sure) @ 2000 to 2250 INR a month.
2 Mbps + unlimited fixed day/night down of 150 GB FUP per Month, 1.13 Mbps fixed day/night down NO FUP afterwards and upload of 0.5 Mbps day/night. (150GB FUP And then 1.13 Mbps NO FUP AT ALL)

Now, As you may see from the speed above at night-time, I understand I'm not entitled to 2Mbps+ even in the night as it's just an extra speed they are providing for night-time.
I can't really complain as the deal is 1 Mbps, but now they offer at night 2 Mbps which is about 1.45~1.75 Mbps to be approx, not close to 2 Mbps.

So, but increasing the plan and fee to +1-1.25K INR from presently, I may be able to upgrade to double the speed. I will be happy with 2 Mbps+ and 150GB FUP a month. I'm a heavy torrent downloaded too in some months, but I don't think to the mark of 150GB+ a month, so this should be sufficient. I'm really more excited if surfing, gaming ping and also YouTube & streaming videos will be faster than what i have now. I'm not sure with gaming ping increase as it has more to do with connectivity latency rather than bandwidth speed, so it may be the same but I'm okay with MTNL's below 30 ping for Indian gaming servers on steam.

Overall the upgrade will make me get 1 Mbps more and I have to pay 1000 to 1250 INR more, so its double the speed for the double the fee upgrade, using my same phone and DSL modem + setup etc.

B) Upgrade to FTTH plan and this one, Fibre Thrill 2590 (Add 200 or 250 INR + rent to also have my existing land-line for phone calls without the DSL, not sure of the rent)
20 Mbps + unlimited fixed day/night down & 10 Mbps upload total of 150 GB FUP per Month, afterwards 1.35 Mbps unlimited fixed day/night down & 1 Mbps upload NO FUP (150GB FUP And then 1.35 Mbps NO FUP AT ALL)

So, but increasing the plan and fee to +1.60-1.85K from presently, I may be able to upgrade to 19 times the speed. Off-course this is a dream speed for Indian Retail Standards so You can Imagine all the bells and whistles with the Internet experience on this and I'm sure the pings will be below 30 or maybe less who knows.

This is a thrilling deal compared to the first, but the problem is I don't live in a building, I live in a 2 floor house of Mhada colony and secondly, I'm not sure if its available. The Charkop Telephone Exchange is just less than 2 Kms away from here.
Also, I may need to Spend an additional 2,000 INR for setup and Fiber Modem, which is okay for the one-time.

So, on one hand I don't need to upgrade any equipment, just change the plan and I will get double the speed to 2 Mbps and Double the fee of 2000 INR & on other hand I will get 19 times the speed and Double and a half the fee of 2600 INR + Installation of 2000 one time.

Second Deal sounds good, But I think the Fiber is still in its infancy here in Mumbai and I may not be able to get it setup on the fly as just going and changing my DSL plan. If anyone in Mumbai or Charkop has taken FTTH plan please let me know.
Also if any of you guys are on the 2 Mbps express plans of DSL with MTNL, would like to know if the speed is as promised or better. Or if it will be just like that like my night-time speed promised 2 Mbps but getting 1.45~1.75 Mbps actual.

Lastly, Also if we do a rough calculation based on 150 GB FUP vs the Speed of the internet & Time for enjoying high-speed.

2 Mbps is approx 200 kbps download.

So 150 GB x 1024 = 153600 MB x 1024 = 157286400 KB
157286400 KB divide by 200 kbps download (2 Mbps Speed) = 786432 seconds divide by 60 = 13107.2 minutes divide by 60 = 219 hours divide by 24 = 9.11 Days worth of continuous torrent download to Deplete the 150 GB FUP.

20 Mbps is approx 2000 kbps or real 2 mbps download.

So So 150 GB x 1024 = 153600 MB
153600 MB divide by 2 mbps download (20 Mbps Speed) = 76800 seconds divide by 60 = 1280 minutes divide by 60 = 21.4 hours, which is obviously not even a complete day of continuous torrent download to Deplete the 150 GB FUP.

So, Is again the speed worth the FUP and the amount of time we may be able enjoy before its depleted for the month??

Then After FUP the NO FUP period

2 Mbps becomes 1.13 Mbps ( About 0.13 Mbps more than my max speed currently)
Upload is the same 0.50 Mbps (Same as currently)

20 Mbps becomes 1.35 Mbps (About 0.35 Mbps more than my max speed currently)
Upload becomes 1 Mbps (0.50 Mbps more than my max speed currently)

So I get for between 1000 INR upgrade and 1600 INR upgrade, the real unlimited speed gains after FUP in download of .13~.35 Mbps unlimited and upload speed of 0~.50 Mbps unlimited.

If I only wanted to download 150 GB on current 1 Mbps day and 1.45~1.75 Mbps at night with the 995 INR plan. It would be about half the amount of time extra on the first upgrade (Since Night is faster than day on currently) would be..
9.11 days divide by 2 and multiply by 3 = 13.67 days. Just 4.55 days more of waiting or keeping my machine "ON" to get 150 GB without any upgrade.

And the then the second upgrade would be about 12 days more to download the 150 GB as the 20 Mbps would deplete 150 GB is less than 24 hours.

Hmm, Is it all worth it?

Okay if I only intend to surf, play games & watch YouTube and Streaming videos but not download, Its a seems good deal for upgrade A and Great deal for Upgrade B.
But if I do decide to download, doesn't it seem really not worth the money for the FUP they have installed?? I'd only save four days of electricity on paying 1000 INR more and 12 days of electricity paying 1600 more, and I don't think unless your playing Games 24 hours for 14 days on a stretch, which would use up 500 Watts excess continuous would really affect my bill by 1k or even 1.6k INR to have the pc "ON" for 4 days to 12 days just for downloading 150 GB's??

Please let me know your views, feedback's or if you have any suggestions. All welcomed and appreciated!!

Regards,
Nick

PS: I'm paying additional 750 INR for reliance netconnect+ 2 Mbps speed and 5GB FUP & 0.14 Kbps NO FUP wireless internet too as a backup. (Only for Backup internet, not for real usage.)

You have written a too big post.Ask ur question in simple form in a paragraph.

sorry nickd... did not read your big post...here you can reduce it to yr actual problem/question... rest we understand.....

I'm trying to decide an upgrade to a better MTNL plan... I'm just confused whether they are worth it or not...Simple.. 🙂

no one else can decided for you if a plan is worth it (for you). you have to see if the price is worth it for the speed and data mtnl is offering.

no one else can decided for you if a plan is worth it (for you). you have to see if the price is worth it for the speed and data mtnl is offering.

Yesterday Night I made a lot of calculations for all the MTNL plans they offer, both for DSL as well as FTTH.
It seems all the plans are carefully constructed according to the amount of bandwidth and how much data you're able to download totally in a day and over the month.
Very much like fool-proof plans in MTNL.

For Example, In my plan DSL 995 Combo, they offered the 1 Mbps day (14 hours) & 2 Mbps Night (8 hours) , So the calculation is that I'll be able to download 5.5 GB approx in day & 5.5 GB approx in Night, Total 11 GB in 24 hours of a day and approx 330 GB a month.

Then a plan like 20 Mbps unlimited FTTH for which they are charging 55,000 INR a month, it goes to approx 5 TB a month.
All the plan pricing, the speed's and FUP's etc on MTNL are very much designed like for the amount of data you'll be able to download totally in a day and a month or so...

Anyways, My advice needed is that I want to see if I'm able to upgrade my current plan to a better one..
After yesterday night's rigorous calculation, the DSL 1599 Plan seems to be the most reasonable for the quick upgrade vs reasonable pricing vs amount of data more that may be able to be downloaded a day/month.

Otherwise for higher-end, the 2 Mbps unlimited for 4999 a month on DSL doesn't look that good as upload in all DSL plans are 0.5 Mbps compared to the same pricing 2 Mbps plan on FTTH unlimited that allows 1 Mbps upload.

I think for the best of best as well as cheapest for high end bandwidth is the DSL 9999 plan (10,000 a month) with 4 Mbps download and 0.5 Mbps uploading and unlimited.
Other than that the FTTH plans for 10 Mbps & 20 Mbps unlimited are really very expensive to be affordable for a Home & Home Office user.

Regards,
Nick from Amchi Mumbai...

Two things - first, I doubt you'll get ftth.Second, on adsl, you won't get 2mbps, until they correct your line rate, ie if you switch to the 150gb 2mbps fup plan, you'll still get a max of 1.75mbps, unless and until they increase your line rate.

Two things - first, I doubt you'll get ftth.
Second, on adsl, you won't get 2mbps, until they correct your line rate, ie if you switch to the 150gb 2mbps fup plan, you'll still get a max of 1.75mbps, unless and until they increase your line rate.

I'm getting max of 2 Mbps @ Night on Torrents, Just the Speed-test doesn't go there.

Speed-Test

Torrent Download Speed

My Impression is that... If i have 1 Mbps day and it gives me instead 1.20~1.30 Mbps & 2 Mbps @ Night that gives me 1.80~2.10 Mbps

Then If i simply pay 600 INR more for DSL 1599 Plan, which should be Day 1.344 Mbps, Evening 1.792 Mbps & Night 2 Mbps.
It should do me 1.50~1.70 Mbps Day, Evening 1.90~2.10 Mbps & Night 2-2.10 Mbps ???

So currently my download capacity @ Stock Speeds are.
Day 1 Mbps (16 Hours) = 5.5 GB approx
Night 2 Mbps (8 Hours) = 5.5 GB approx
Total of 11 GB per 24 hours.
Total of 330 GB per Month (30 Days)

And if I upgrade to DSL 1599, Download capacity @ Stock Speeds are

Day 1.34 Mbps (10 Hours) = 4.60 GB Approx
Evening 1.792 Mbps (6 Hours) = 3.68 GB Approx
Night 2 Mbps (8 Hours) = 5.5 GB Approx
Total of 13.78 GB per 24 Hours
Total of 413 GB per Month (30 Days)

So getting 2.78 GB+ a day & 83 GB+ a month??

202kBps is around 1.6mbps

I too believed in this form of calculating speed but read somewhere on the net (one of the unit converting tool site)in speed calculation 1 Mbps = 1000 Kbps (not 1024 Kbps), it is a common misconception to use 1024 in conversion between kbps and bps. However, if you are calculating storage it is correct to use 1 MB = 1024 KB
it was quite disbelieving for me too
More thoughts/research required on this regard
Maybe that's the reason most isp's cap us at this rate as that's what hey consider as a standard for speed throughput

No. I can safely say that it is 1024 kbps. Earlier when my line rate was capped, I'd also only 1.75 mbps (around 212kBps) ever since they've fixed my line rate, I've been getting 240-250 kBps.

MTNL 's website also states that 1mbps = 1024 kbps

Hmm. On googling a little it seems like 1mbps = 1000kbps. Yet

Well, For now the best plan on MTNL's DSL considering speed, unlimited data/ downloadable data a month & cost is only one plan.DSL UNLIMITED 1599 PlanActually its "The" only best plan from MTNL's both DSL & FTTH for truly unlimited internet with no FUP & CHEAPBTW, I've defaulted deliberately on my Reliance netconnect+ bill and plan to discontinue it.Then my total cost of 995 on mtnl & 842 INr on reliance 1850 INRinstead upgrade to 1599 INR & plus the 180 INR rent for landline since the dsl_unlimited 1599 isn't a combo plan.1780 INR Before that I've contacted MTNL to get my line fixed & get my temporary dsl light blinking problem fixed, then there's no connectivity issue, I notice there's momentary hissing sound in my land line, so that maybe the cause why i had to keep that reliance as backup.

OK Guys, just made the call about 10 mins ago to get my plan changed, they say it will be changed withing 2 days from today.

So today's speed DSL_995_Combo, which is day speed at 1 Mbps, time of writing is 1 pm afternoon.

Will post the speed after the plan changes how it is ...

Regards,
Nick from Mumbai

OK it seems that the DSL 1599 plan has already activated last evening.

Posting the speed how it is.

Currently at day from 8am to 6pm, supposed to be 1.344 Mbps or around 166kbps actual. I will post speed now in morning and then later at afternoon for day speed.

Morning 9:15 am speed...
Seems much better than the promised 166kbps, yet will check again in afternoon.. 🙂

Afternoon 1:15pm speed....
Again better than promised....🙂

Next I will check speed at evening after 6pm, supposed to be 1.792 Mbps or around 222kbps actual from 6pm to 12am.

Evening 6:45pm speed...
Only 7kbps more than promised, but that's still better then less than 222kbps in the evening. 🙂

Next I will check speed at night after 12am, Supposed to be 2Mbps or around 248kbps actual from 12am to 8am.

Night 5:30am speed...

Test 1

Test 2 on reliance server...

Test 3 again on reliance server...

Tes 4 again on recommended server...

Not able to reach 248kbps or above that as I see, So it's not going over between 1.89~1.95 Mbps, 1.95Mbps is also achieved on the fourth test for me but it seems it was a struggle. So it's not going to 2Mbps and over that comfortably, but It's satisfactory. Maybe I need to follow xdsl's advice and fix my line rate.. Will try that tomorrow.

But overall, from whats promised day/evening and night, it should be about 207kbps average for a day and maximum download of 17gb a day & 510 Gb a month.

Off-course speed is not always exact, during the day when it needs to be 166kbps, its doing 180~195kbps, evening its doing 220~230kbps & night when its supposed to do 248kbps+ it can do only 235kbps & 242kbps was achieved only with struggle. Overall fast when its supposed to be slow and not that fast when its supposed to be fast. I'm happy.

If we consider a DVD for a game, software or a HD movie is about 5gb a dvd on average. That would mean I will be able to download about 102 DVD's a month.
Pretty much a big bang for the buck @ 1599 INR + 180 phone rent.

About streaming videos, youtube etc. It runs pretty okay without a noticeable lag, however I have decided to use the VSO downloader that captures streaming video on play and instead starts downloading. This way I don't need to watch streaming stuff smoothly on normal quality, instead can have the 720p & 1080p HD streaming, instead of watching them, have them downloaded in a jiffy and watch from the HD.

I have downloaded about 20-30 HD music videos and stuff, its able to do 500 MB an hour on ease, so average HD music videos go from 25~100mb, better to use the speed and download HD , watch it from the Hard disk than to watch normal quality streaming on the web. Link to the free trial --> http://www.vso-software.fr/products/downloader/vso-downloader.php 😉 off-course can get the "educated version" from link-removed.eu or link-removed.se. 🙂