Govt says speeds below 256 kbps not broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter Suraj
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 4,952

Suraj

Regular
quoted from : http://sify.com/finance/it-bpo/fullstory.php?id=13695341

New Delhi: The Government has warned telecom operators against marketing or advertising their services below 256 kbps download speed as broadband.

Such activities/publicising advertis€m€nts at a download speed of 64 kbps, 128 kbps will not come under the category of broadband services, an official statement from department of telecom said.

Any download speed which is at 256 Kbps or more can alone be termed as broadband services. Therefore, the telecom operators should not mislead the consumers by making such advertis€m€nts or adopt any marketing tactics, which would defeat the very purpose of providing broadband services.

DoT, in a communication issued to all operators, said branding or naming the services with less than 256 kbps download speed is not in accordance with the broadband policy announced last year.

The policy defines broadband as 'always on minimum' speed of 256 kbps. DoT's warning comes after it was found that most of the operators are positioning 64 and 128 kbps download speed as broadband or are clubbing it with the 256 download speed to gain from the customers. [/b]

hmm.....that doesn't make sense does it?.

sify and others will try sellin their pack without the broadband tag and get away with it. 🙁

well its a beginning atleast. broadband is the KEY word of fooling the customer. now people would say... if its not broadband, how is it better than my dialup.

well. this point is important...whether i can call my company Sushubh Broadband and still sell 64k packages under the label of hi-speed net (which sify does at this moment). what does the ruling apply on? the brand name or the package name.i think they left a big loophole in this. airtel broadband sells 64 and 128k packages under their brandname of Airtel Broadband. Sify does the same.

in India anything goes. If for that matter netizens were not so desperate to get "broadband", then perhaps Sify would not have sold its packages.The biggest problem is that God made us a bit more intelleigent. Lets pray all of us that in our next birth, if at all we are Indians, make us such a moron that people like Sify can happily sell us their "broadband" packages. For all those who complain have a reason now to get stupid and dumber...that would make life much easier. It did for me in much better way and i am happier now. If BSNL works....great.If it doesnt work..great again.

The bliss that comes from ignorance may be tranquilBut the change that comes from intellect is greater still........Who the hell would want to be dumber? That's ridiculous.....

Well yeah, isps and consumers calling their sub 100 kbps connections broadband is plain annoying for those of us who know better 😛.I see people happily flaunting that they have a broadband connection, others going gaga over companies that claim to provide broadband and the companies themselves using the word broadband like loose change.DoT/TRAI seem to be finally waking up.

An encouraging step in the right direction. I like the no-nonsense, "dont fcuk with the consumer" tone in the government statement.

It won't make much difference ... sify and the gang will continue to advertise "XYZ Broadband", referring to their 256kbps connections with data limits. Side by side they will also offer "unlimited" connections, cleverly omitting broadband from their definition. Net effect? "Get sify broadband today!"

As expected TATA did it by adding the extra line on its schemes

http://www.tataindicombroadband.com/access...post.html#plan3

All high-speed Internet plans below 256 kbps are not Broadband, as defined by TRAI.[/b]

Thats all....party is over.....forget about us gettin 256kbps and above unless ofcourse Govt comes out with a better warnin that just simply says "remove those speeds under 256Kbps", but at the end of it we shouldn't forget that we are still here in India where people can find loopholes in just abt anythin.:angry:

me goin out to get some ALoo Chaat.....bored at work and the internet.

where the heck is the chaiwallah.... 🤔

told u it wudn't matter. not until the standards raised and ppl expect good and fast connections will we c speeds above 256

yeah, tatas live in some different world......i think all the other schemes are 512Kbps except this unlimited one thats 128Kbps.....All schemes sux though