• Thread starter Thread starter x720
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 1,832

x720

Incoherent Poster
ISP
airtel, BSNL, MTNL
Alright, so I've been using Usenet to get stuff for a few months now. I'll post a guide on how to get started if anyone is interested !

I have only used torrents ,i am new to usenet ,so iam intrested to learn about this .I have only used torrents ,i am new to usenet ,so iam intrested to learn about this .

Alright. So to get started you need 3 things - 1. A usenet server (astraweb, giganews etc etc) A usenet server stores the files. Once one purchases access, we get access to those files, but we can't download them right away. Much like stuff stored on people PCs/seedboxes can't be downloaded without a .torrent files. Which brings us to our next requirement - 2. .nzb filesNow, for understandings sake, .nzb files are similar in function to .torrent files and like torrent files .nzb too require a client to download the stuff. I have no idea about the technical aspects of nzb files and how they actually work. Now, the usenet server doesn't provide you with nzb files. In order to obtain nzb files we need to go to sites that index nzbs. I get my nzbs from FST. They usually have the stuff I need so, I haven't looked elsewhere. Access to most nzb indexes is free. 3. Newsreader aka the client So, in order to download the goodies that the nzb files contain we need a newsreader. Newsreader is similar on function to a torrent client. GrabIt and sabnzbd are two popular newsreaders. I prefer grabit becuae it is easier to use. Before one can start downloading, we need to set the newsreader up with the server details (ex - news.giganews.com for giganews) of the provider we've subscribed too followed by the username and password of our account. Once that is done, simply open the nzb file in the newsreader (grabit) and the downloading beings. You can easily max out your connection on Usenet. Now, coming to an important aspect. Access to the best servers is paid, a few free ones do exist, but they aren't worth it. Astraweb charges USD 10 a month for unlimited access and has pretty awesome retention. While selecting a server, keep in mind that the more the retention the more is the chance of older files being present. What you choose to do with Usenet is entirely your choice 😉

Now what is relation between usenet and torrents?

I have only used torrents ,i am new to usenet ,so iam intrested to learn about this .

I have only used torrents ,i am new to usenet ,so iam intrested to learn about this .

That's called echolalia

There are quite a few providers who provide trials but those are the kind that require you to enter card details and cancel before the trial period ends.

Alright xsusenet seem to be offering a free account. But the speed is limited to 1mbps. Worth a shot if someone is interested in giving Usenet a try.

Considering venturing into it. Seems to require an investment of around USD 15-20 per month. Need to find a server that allows downloads from multiple IPs so that an account can be shared to reduce cost per head.