How much Bandwidth is Enough.

Hi, In your opinion what bandwidth capacity should we have in our country?

Please consider
1. Both urban and rural communities,
2. Multimedia download requirements,
3. Communication Requirements (like video calling etc.,)
4. Services Offered (tele medicine, tele education etc.,)

What is the one speed all households and offices need to have now to take
complete advantage of the Internet Possibilities ?

How much should such a service cost?

edit: corrected "Broadband" with "Bandwidth"

2Mbps should be considered broadband not 512Kbps, that would be a good start!

2Mbps should be considered broadband not 512Kbps, that would be a good start!
Ahem.....not 256 kbps:Boy Thumb Down:

Its 512kbps as per recent recommendations by Govt.

256kbps right now. 512kbps is yet to be implemented.
Yep...its only 256 kbps right now...that's why stupid Airtel & BSNL is still implementing it & robbing the users. Even though many users hate Reliance for some reason or the other..hats off to them for bringing 1 mbps as minimum speed in their wireline BB.

airtel has already begun marketing airtel internet. Could be part of a long term strategy to retire the broadband branding , perhaps ?

Ok, thats what the government thinks. But ideally what should it be?and more interestingly what do you want it to be?What bandwidth you think us as citizens deserve to take full advantages of the power of internet?I believe if right now we had 2Mbps connections standard everywhere,cellphones, houses, remote village hospitals, small shops in the city;It could drive change in this country in a similar way good roads do.what do you think?

I believe if right now we had 2Mbps connections standard everywhere,
cellphones, houses, remote village hospitals, small shops in the city;
It could drive change in this country in a similar way good roads do.

explain how?

what? how will you provide internet without infrastructure?what do you call the network of optical cables, copper wires,wireless broadcasters and terminals and servers, if not infrastructure?maybe you thought I was referring to transport infrastructure infact I was referring to IT infrastructure.