• Thread starter Thread starter rsatbf
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 1,817

rsatbf

Regular
ISP
BSNL
My main need is to regulate voltage in my home. There is too much fluctuation. I got one APC 600VA Line R voltage regulator from Metro Bangalore at a very decent rate of 1600. Normal pricing was around 2500 or so. I plan to get one or two more, but no stock there. So getting from the US here
Alternately if a UPS does the same thing - i.e. volatage regulation, thought of getting something like this
Not really sure though, which is the better option for voltage regulation.

I do not use a voltage regulator on my system. My UPS handles the fluctuations just fine. Though trips when things to horribly bad. Voltage regulators are a good idea if the voltage goes down heavily for longer periods of time. I used to have a Bhurji unit long time ago when UPS were rather expensive 🙂 Worked very well.

I want this for my TVs - dont want my LCD and LEDs to get busted. My voltage fluctuates between 190-270 V many times in a day. I have a 500VA UPS, and an unused 800VA UPS. Guess I will try using them before picking up a new regulator. Just wondering, if the UPS can do the same level of regulation that a stabilizer does.

unlikely 😀 they are designed to break the circuit and switch to battery during fluctuation i believe. so if voltage regulation is the primary requirement, stick to it.

I like the switcing to battery part, because my wife is getting pissed with the regulator turning off the TV when watching something 🙂

And what is a good one to buy? I would connect quite a few things to it

I generally buy APC, if the brand is what you are asking about.

i have not have had much luck with their expensive units which are seriously not designed for indian conditions. apc rs1000 might be a good purchase for you if you have an existing power backup.

I'm using APC BR1000G-IN 1KVA UPS since last two months for my PC and it's performing quite well. It has an LCD which shows input voltage, output voltage, estimated backup time, load (in watts), etc. It costs around 9k which is quite a lot for a 1KVA UPS i think. I got it for free as a friend was not comfortable with the sound of it's internal fan which is quite noticeable in quiet environment.

I am stuck with their APC SUA1000 unit which was discontinued when they sold it to me. Made a bad decision. Still repenting.