How many here plan to or have already upgraded to Windows 8?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 7,802
And I think I hold on for a while... Maybe next version... Not sure... I dont want to upgrade on the desktop with Win7 because my dad uses it & I do not want him to struggle with the changes (He is close to 70) and also other non tech-savvy people access it. There are a few very old programs which I run on Vista that are not running on win7 itself properly, so no point in jumping to 8 (Even with compatibility mode set)I have no plans for now... so I have voted that.. But, will not confirm if will not do so in the future.

Don't do it if your dad uses it.

actually it is very cool for old people. no dealing with menus. you get large boxes. large everything. very nice on the eyes.but yeah. learning curve is big if he is used to things working in a particular way.

i thought you had voted for i have no plans :grin:

Yeh, But then I couldnt resist myself with paying 1990 and owning an Win 8 😕

To respond to both above, thats why I am not jumping on to the bandwagon now... I will wait & see... Try to see how is the feedback, and judge if he will be able handle the changes.... And yes, he hates changes, even if its an improvement from our view.A question, may seem obvious for some, but I have a retail Win7 version, and I get an upgrade to Win8 online, the Win7 retail copy is no longer legally usable on say another PC?

1999 :d

To respond to both above, thats why I am not jumping on to the bandwagon now... I will wait & see... Try to see how is the feedback, and judge if he will be able handle the changes....

A question, may seem obvious for some, but I have a retail version, and I get an upgrade , the Win7 copy is no longer legally usable on say another PC?

i understand you can use either 7 or 8 at any given time. not both. i wanted to get a full copy too but could not wait.

basically what you assumed.

Also, my laptop is a decent config, though of 2008 (Dual Core, 4 GB Ram). I think it will be able to handle Win8, but its not in the best of physical conditions (a few chips off here & there, color has peeled off , the left click is a bit creaky etc , if you know what I mean, so I sometimes think maybe I should give away to someone else in the family & get myself a new one (Maybe in next 1-2 years), so even in that sense, jumping to Win8 on the laptop seems unnecessary. And, I am yet to even replace the battery :S, if you can remember that conversation in another thread.

if it runs windows 7, it should run windows 8. 4GB RAM might turn out to be a problem if you load too many apps at one time. my system was using 5.5GB though i would not consider myself a regular user.

right. it was using 2.2GB when i shut down all apps. chrome, opera, metrotwit adds up quite a lot of RAM usage.

if it runs windows 7, it should run windows 8. 4GB RAM might turn out to be a problem if you load too many apps at one time. my system was using 5.5GB though i would not consider myself a regular user.

Laptop has 4 GB Ram & runs Vista. Desktop has Win7, though its only 2 GB Ram :silly:

For 32 bit install it requires 2 GB, for 64 minimum should be 3 GB.It takes heck load of memory to keep your experience as smooth as it can, so yeah 😕

Ah, desktop Win 7 is 32-bit & Vista on laptop is 64-bit, so I guess that part might be covered. But, still let me see. Someone was mentioning a cutoff date for an upgrade at the lower cost, what was it?

january 2012 i think.

* Offer valid from October 26, 2012 until January 31, 2013 and is limited to five upgrade licenses per customer. To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

deets