Remember to create media during the upgrade process

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 58
  • Views Views 3,315
as folks on the forum have confirmed that a lot of people were able to put in fake info and get it :\

I wasn't 🙁

well a lot of them were able to before i guess microsoft detected the problem and disabled it?anyways, cheer up, you used the pure legitimate way. be proud of it. you paid a very reasonable price for a piece of software that you would be using for years. 🙂

beh. here is what i said.

when it gives you the three options... make a install image on either a pen drive or dvd.

then... restart the 5MB installer and upgrade using it.

as simple as that.

Okay! Can I do the same even after installing Windows 8? After installing Windows 8 will I need to download everything again or can I still use it the way you mentioned?

Actually I would prefer a DVD over a pendrive and the problem is that I don't have a blank DVD with me at the moment.

True! Am proud of it and now as a programmer, I understand the hard work the MS engineers would have put in designing Win 8.

well i am downloading the entire thing again. so i guess find a usb drive and use it for the time being. and then google for how to move an image from a pen drive to dvd.

i am sure you can create an iso from the image on the pen drive and then load it on a blank dvd.

i am also not sure how the create boot image thing works as i have not done it myself. if you find that it has downloaded an iso file... just freaking copy it to another location!

True! Am proud of it and now as a programmer, I understand the hard work the MS engineers would have put in designing Win 8.

exactly. i avoided all the alternative options (dreamspark etc) to get it cheaper because the price is very reasonable. almost as expensive as getting a tank full of diesel on my car.

i usually get a retail copy through a friend who works in microsoft redmond. even he has no idea how much a retail copy would cost him. did not want to wait so upgraded at 1999 rupees.

I won't take a copy of it anywhere for now, I'll just install Windows 8 Pro via the upgrade assistant.

Aage ki baad mein dekhenge. Koi na koi tareeka toh hoga hi backup DVD banane ka.

Windows 7, Windows 8 etc. have option to create System Restore DVDs or System backups in external hard drives. So, create it once everything is installed and it should be fine.

^^^

Sususbh what you have you downloaded now i.e. the 61% image thing. Is it not the ISO file. If it is an ISO, it should easily write to any DVD. Or has Microsoft removed the ISO option completely in the final release?

someone mentioned that the installer downloads an iso. i would find out on 10 minutes.or 30 :\or 30!

Alright! So I made a bootable USB Flash Drive, created an ISO and kept it in my hard disk and also installed Windows 8 from the upgrade assistant itself. Finished playing with Windows 8 for a while and it's time to sleep now. 😀

actually a bootable pen drive can easily be made using the ISO file. so ISO is the safest option. upgrade (from a running windows) keeps ur files. fresh install (by booting up via disk ) deletes everything on the partition on which you chose to install..

I first selected instal from Desktop option. It will create one shortcut there. Then click that shortcut to create ISO file which went into one of my DVD and also in external HDD. Then click the shortcut again and put the image in one Pen Drive. We can create any number of pen drive backups and ISO images in that way by clicking the desktop shortcut.