D-Link Wireless N 300 ADSL2+Modem router configuration problem

• Thread starter Thread starter smartguy777
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 36,026

smartguy777

ISP
Airtel
Hi everyoneI have airtel broabdband internet connection for my desktop. I would like to use wireless internet through router for my laptop. So I bought D-Link Wireless N 300 ADSL2+Modem router today.I followed all the steps of router installation like plugging power, connecting phone and ether cable. Last step 'connect to internet is getting failed with error as " There seems to be some problem with internet connection, check DSL settings'.Please help me how to configure.I did ipconfig/all on my desktop and posting results here..C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/allWindows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hyd-6769a8adb07 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-1C-3C-01-78 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:38:25 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:38:25PM

Hi everyone
I have airtel broabdband internet connection for my desktop. I would like to use wireless internet through router for my laptop. So I bought D-Link Wireless N 300 ADSL2+Modem router today.
I followed all the steps of router installation like plugging power, connecting phone and ether cable. Last step 'connect to internet is getting failed with error as " There seems to be some problem with internet connection, check DSL settings'.
Please help me how to configure.

I did ipconfig/all on my desktop and posting results here..
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hyd-6769a8adb07
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-1C-3C-01-78
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:38:25
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:38:25
PM

Can anyone please help ??

1. Confirm the setup. Telephone cable to modem. Ethernet cable from modem to computer.2. Are you able to login to the modem?3. Did you enter the correct DSL username & password?4. Did you configure the modem per Airtel's settings?If you did all that, then it might be an issue with DNS settings.Go to Network Connections -> Local Area Network -> Properties. Under the General tab, go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Configure. What do you see under the General tab?

turn off DHCP in the D-Link router ...if that doesn't work let me know..i will work out something

Hi
I turned off DHCP but no luck. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

1. Confirm the setup. Telephone cable to modem. Ethernet cable from modem to computer.
2. Are you able to login to the modem?
3. Did you enter the correct DSL username & password?
4. Did you configure the modem per Airtel's settings?

If you did all that, then it might be an issue with DNS settings.

Go to Network Connections -> Local Area Network -> Properties. Under the General tab, go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Configure. What do you see under the General tab?

Hi

1.Confirmed - Telephone cable to modem - Green light enabled on router
2.Didn't get ur question - I do not have any credentials to login to the modem
3. Yes, entered the correct DSL username and password
4. Yes, when I selected Airtel/India, the other settings have come automatically.

Network Connections -> Local Area Network -> Properties. Under the General tab, go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Configure->
after this step - there are two tabs - 1. General --> The below two radio buttons were selected.
"Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
2. Alternative configuration - 'Automatic private IP address' radio button was selected.

Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you !

something must be wrong in the router configurations? wireless configurations?

Hi

Dont know whats wrong. Thats why I'm here. First I am trying to connect internet on my desktop(OS - windows XP Sp2)
using router and ethernet cable. If this works, I will go for wireless.

I tried connect internet on my laptop (windows7) also but unable to connect using D-Link router.

What is the modem model no? DSL-2750u?
1.Confirmed - Telephone cable to modem - Green light enabled on router
How many lights? What are the lights? Look in your manual to see a description. Were all of them steady or blinking?
There should be a minimum of 4 steady lights - Power, LAN, DSL, Internet. The 5th would be the wireless signal. But since your internet is not working, you might be seeing fewer lights than that.

2.Didn't get ur question - I do not have any credentials to login to the modem
Yeah you do.
go to http://192.168.1.1/
User name:
admin

Password:
admin or password

connect the D-Link wifi modem to your older airtel modem through ethernet cable then after turning off DHCP on dlink set the dlink's own ip address to 192.168.2.1

connect the D-Link wifi modem to your older airtel modem through ethernet cable then after turning off DHCP on dlink set the dlink's own ip address to 192.168.2.1

Dude, I did exactly the same today...connected ethernet cable from Dlink modem to airtel modem and DSL wire also to Airtel modem Now the internet green light is enabled on Airtel modem. I am able to wireless internet from router now and I'm able to connect internet on my desktop using wired internet also.

I was told that I can remove airtel modem if I purchase this Dlink Wireless N 300 ADSL2+Modem router . But I am getting internet only if I use both airtel modem and dlink router+modem. Anyways I have internet now.

Appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Please let me know if there is anyway I can avoid using my airtel modem and connect internet using Dlink router+ modem

uberjon said:
What is the modem model no? DSL-2750u?
Yes, the same.
uberjon said:
How many lights? What are the lights? Look in your manual to see a description. Were all of them steady or blinking?
There should be a minimum of 4 steady lights - Power, LAN, DSL, Internet. The 5th would be the wireless signal. But since your internet is not working, you might be seeing fewer lights than that.
The below lights were ON on the D-Link router+modem..
1. Power
2. LAN port
3. Wifi
4. DSL
and internet (globe symbol) goes red sometimes when I try to connect to internet

Yeah you do.
go to http://192.168.1.1/
User name:
admin

Password:
admin or password[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am able to login to modem.
Please let me know if you need more details.

Please note that I'm able to connect internet now using airtel modem and Dlink router wireless on my laptop.
Ideally, I should be able to remove aitel modem and connect internet using Dlink router+modem.
Thanks for your help!

Ideally, I should be able to remove aitel modem and connect internet using D-Link router+modem.
Yes, you can. Since the DSL light was a solid green & the internet light was red, I think it might be your username or password that's causing the problems. Your password should be your Airtel phone number with the STD code. That's how it is for me at least.

just call up airtel and they will send sum1 to setup the D-Link for you...my friend did the same and they readily helped... 🙂

If you want to use it as Modem/Router, you need to set PPPoE, VCI/VPI etcSince you have a working configuration now, you can login to the Airtel proviced Modem, note down or screenshot of all the settings and replicate them in your D-Link, if you want to have only one device and are willing to try.You can backup all settings of your N300 and your Modem first, before experimenting, so that you can revert, in case you do not succeed...