• Thread starter Thread starter iCon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 648

iCon

masoom kameena!
ISP
Random 3G!
One of my friend have Galaxy y, now he want to root and flash with custom ROM. Is it possible and which ROM is good and stable?

If you concern more about stability. The answer is Stock rom, no aosp or custom rom will replace it. If he could manage with the minimal bugs. Tell him to try cynogen. For newbies I would always suggest to just root the phone n tweak the stock rom the way they want. Like removing crappy drm apps, sharing the micro sd memory with internal memory by using the appropriate scripts n container Improving battery life by flashing the tweaked kernals etc You just don't need to flash a new rom ...

Any kernel suggestion? I think he will be ok if he can increase the RAM by removing unwanted startup apps.

Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360 - xda-developers

RAM is hardware
ROM is software (system files + user available space internally = Internal memory of a phone. If he removes some drm protected apps after rooting. It will gain some extra space in the internal memory ...

He may increase the RAM a little by swapping the micro sd. But it would make the micro sd card weak. It's just like using flash drive n increase the virtual memory to improve the pc performance

Let him start with the basic tutorial frm the above link.

For Galaxy Y, I would suggest to stick to stock ROM as installing custom ROM will no doubt add features, but the phone will start lagging. I used to have a Samsung Galaxy 3 which has similar hardware, and I had tried a bunch of custom ROMs, but always reverted back to stock ROM due to the lag.