Trai Seeks Legal Opinion On Mtnl's Iptv Services

smartbuddy_82

Regulars
ISP
MTNL
Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) services launched by the government-owned Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL) amidst much fanfare on Saturday in Mumbai and on Tuesday in Delhi are illegal as per the Cable Televisions Networks (Regulations) Act.

Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has asked the ministry of information and broadcasting to take a legal opinion on the issue. “We have looked into the legal aspects of IPTV services and we are requesting concerned ministries to get legal opinion,” said Nripendra Misra, chairman, Trai.

He said that the march of technology cannot be stopped. The basic idea is to offer the best services to the customers.
Section 4(a) of the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Amendment Bill, ’02, says: “Programmes of basic service tier shall be receivable by any subscriber on the receiver set of a type existing immediately before the commencement of the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Amendment Act ’02 without any addressable system attached with such receiver set in any manner. [/b]

Read complete story at : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2201127.cms

MTNL maybe in trouble... 😛

whats the problem? why create such laws?there is new technology they are using/providing it.why take away freedom from any company to offeranything to anyone as long as it is not harmful.i dont see anything harming any1 in IPTV exceptthese cable and DTH operators. but instead of givingbetter service to customers themselves they aretrying to block some1 trying to give better serviceand then keep ruling us the customers.

They(TRAI) can't do anything with there own(Govt owned) entity!!!

yes hope that law is amended for IPTV to be allowed.. thats what is proposed in article

MTNL's IPTV will have no problems...after all they have links with hte gov...and so shud be tria

MTNL in trouble ? No chance. Firstly it's a government entity and it provides really good service apart from the customer care which will improve in future. This concept of IPTv being illegal is ridiculous and i'm sure it's initiated by the cable operators and the other dth opeartors like sun , reliance who are still to come out with their services. Finally we , customers are getting offered choices and the providers understandably are worried coz MTNL has a lot of advantage in introducing technologies being a government organisation.

I was really surprised when i read this comment by RSP Sinha, CMD, MTNL ;

"We have brought the latest technology in terms of broadband and compressions, ie, ADSL 2+ and MPEC 4 part 10. These technologies have not yet been deployed commercially anywhere in the world. In this respect we are ahead of the rest of the world”[/b]

If that is true then i really take my hats off to mtnl and hope that they continue to come up with better technologies and services in the future.

LOLz adsl2+ has capacity of upto 24 mbps with current plan which mtnl offers what was need for it ???First fully utilize adsl which has capacity of 6mbps-8mbps then jump for adsl2+.

yes mtnl is amazingly coming up with new technologies one after another. and since its all on wires which are already set. the installation cost would be almost nothing. i am buying few of mtnl shares!😉

The biggest advantage for MTNL is last mile connectivity, MTNL is actually there in every alternate home in delhi and mumbai. If they want they can dominate (like previously) the entire telecom arena by offering cheapest rates and high speed unlimited broadband at affordable charges...I think they should outsource their customer service to a private firm and concentrate fully on their services and new technologies. It would be beneficial to both MTNL and also to us, its loyal customers... 😛

unfortunately babus (if any on this forum) would just spy for trick stuffs. they will ignore the good suggestions like urs (i.e outsourcing)

Section 4(a) of the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Amendment Bill, ’02, says: “Programmes of basic service tier shall be receivable by any subscriber on the receiver set of a type existing immediately before the commencement of the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Amendment Act ’02 without any addressable system attached with such receiver set in any manner.[/b]

I don't understand Section 4(a). According to my reading of even CAS and DTH shouldn't be allowed to offer Basic (Free To Air) services but they are offering them! Or maybe my reading is wrong.

Unified Access Service Licence (UASL) allows a company to offer triple play services. However, MTNL does not have UASL licence. It has acquired cable TV licence to offer IPTV services. The Act was formulated in 1995. It was later amended in ’02 to bring CAS within its purview. In ’02, IPTV was not offered commercially anywhere in the world. Advancement in technologies are taking so fast that in just four years there is a need to amend the Act. [/b]

These acts should be amended and the relevant license acquired by MTNL. Calling a cutting edge technology which is good for the consumers illegal going by outdated acts is laughable.