Will torrent downloading get the downloader into legal trouble?

• Thread starter Thread starter pudu123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 6,396

pudu123

Regular
ISP
Airtel Xtreme 40Mbps
If someone downloads media from sites like link-removed, can that person get tracked by their ISPs and sued and worse face criminal action?Will using private torrent sites like BTN,link-removed help in avoiding that?I'm assuming that won't help & one is asking for trouble if one downloads torrents from public or private trackers?Note - I'm not sure where this thread should be posted so I apologise in advance if this is the wrong forum.

yes , they can track u

So, downloading from private torrent sites doesn't help?Any idea what the penalties are in India?Also, any idea how many people are prosecuted for downloading torents?

Ok here is the thing. Our ISPs can and probably are recording everything we do online. I believe this is more to do with government policies than something that they are doing on their own. Our government uses terrorism as the excuse for such broad levels of online monitoring. But the same database can and would be used to target pirates as well. The bigger question is… The content you are downloading might not be considered copyrighted in India. I mean American media content necessarily isn’t copyrighted in India so that might not land you in trouble. Unless of course the media companies have applied for copyright in India too. Private torrents does not change anything. Your online activity are still recorded at ISP level. Your IP is still broadcast publicly. Anyone downloading/uploading the same file can see and store your IP. So, if a media company wants to target you for torrenting their copyrighted content, they can do it without the help of the ISPs. Of course they would need to get your identification details from your ISP. A court order would let them do that. So what to do? There are a bunch of solutions. You can use a Seedbox. But your downloads from the seedbox server would still be trackable by your ISP. Getting a VPN would be the safest way out. Accessing internet through a VPN would show only that traffic to your ISP. That you are connecting to the VPN service provider. Anything else would be accessible to the operator of the VPN. Get a VPN connection from a company based in let’s say Sweden where privacy laws are strong. I use iPredator. They do not keep logs of user activity. So your online activity through their network would be pretty secure. Of course, there are still no guarantees. Anything is technically possible. You can just make it hard for them to track you online.If you Google around you would read reports about Kerala cops tracking users and arresting them. From what I remember reading, they arrested the guy who was sharing a specific movie. The makers of that movie had a court order for such tracking which resulted in some arrests. I have no details about the penalties but the point is. If you want to enhance your privacy while downloading from the internet, consider investing in a paid vpn. Monthly costs are as low as 5 dollars. There are free services online but I personally would not suggest them.

€ 15 for 3 months!if you google around, you would find tons of other services. just make sure that they do not keep logs of user activities. US based services are required by the law to do so. Sweden is the safer choice. I use iPredator because it worked great for me. It is operated by the same guys who run The Pirate Bay.