How to share files between PCs on wifi

• Thread starter Thread starter hymarathe
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3,808

hymarathe

ISP
airtel
I recently bought a TP-Link wifi router(TL-WR841N) as suggested by some members of this forum, and have been using it to share Internet between my desktop PC, my office laptop, and android mobile phone. Other than sharing internet (I didn't do any setting for that, the wifi router automatically picked the settings), what else can I do? How can I share files between my PC and the laptop over wifi?Please note that the laptop is provided by my office, and is on set on different domain than my home PC. Setting both on a common domain/workgroup is not possible.Thanks

different workgroups probably makes it hard. you might want to try out lan sharing apps that might work for you. Dropbox is another stupid workaround though it might not detect the local LAN at all and end up syncing data through the internet.

Thanks Chromanic. I'd like to watch movies on my laptop that are stored on my home PC, and sometimes I am lazy enough to copy them to the pen drive, so Dropbox is out of the question. I'll try setting up apache server (suggested by a friend) on the home pc, and then access it from my laptop (and probably from my phone too) using any browser, and download files. But it is a one-way connection, I'd like to set up a two-way connection (file transfer between both pcs). Any suggestions?

i guess play with tools like Lanshark (found on a simple google search). and hope that they would work at LAN speed and would not crawl. Dropbox has a feature for lan sync. which means that it would bypass the internet if it finds the other computer in the same network. but it has not worked well for me in similar situations to yours as it ended up doing the file sync over the internets 😀

Google ipmsg.This is the answer to your query. Run it on both system and thats it share files using that small app.While in college that was most popular software for sharing movies n stuff on lan speed 😀