Duped by ebay seller.

• Thread starter Thread starter rodeoz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 2,088
i feel ebay is risky. some sellers are so dubious that when you send any query about product they say we can give better discount if you you buy outside ebay by ordering through phone and transferring money directly to their account

Have had a similar thing happen to me. I had ordered a pen drive, it was delivered in my absence. When I opened it, it was empty, only the casing for the pen drive was there. I opened a dispute on eBay but they said that since the seller had proved that he had sent and delivered the item, there was nothing they could do.Now, I make it a point to open the package in front of the courier guy, if he refuses, I send it back. And i Avoid sellers that use DTDC to courier.

A lot depends on the seller. If a seller has say sold 2000+ items with 99+ % positive feedback, there is almost nil chance that he would try to scam you.Unfortunately, the person hasn't shared who he bought the item from.

He should have named the seller. By the way he can knock the door of consumer forum.

ebay refund claim system is bad. It has 3-4 ways to file a claim. Tracking your claim is not easy.You have to actually find hard to find status of your claim.Even in mycase I got response after 20-25days. Actually, I had given up as item cost was not much.Luckily claim was settled in my favour because seller didnt respond at all.

the seller had proved that he had sent and delivered the item, there was nothing they could do.

:concern:

The BIG problem in such cases is, how does one actually guarantee that the buyer is actually telling truth.I am not defending ebay NOR doubting buyer. But current world is such that anyone can be lying. Everyone tries to find out loopholes in system. Seller reputation also may not always be a criteria. Seller with bad intention can first build good reputation and one such BIG FISH and he can earn good 15-20k for free. One negative review does not harm their reputation that much.Same way there are buyers who make false claims. If they have an item which is faulty. They order a new one online and when they get brand new item. They raise item faulty ticket and return their own faulty item, demand refund.In short ebay type system has many loopholes.I prefer ebay only for low cost items and that too only when I dont find item in local market OR I am getting good discount OR when I have coupon worth 100Rs or more.

right. there is no way of proving that the buyer is telling the truth. he can claim that the box was empty even if it was not. i guess the only work around is to ensure that the package is opened in front of the delivery guy which of course adds a lot more complication to the whole process.

Could there be a foul play by the shipping agency ?As one said , it is wise to buy costly stuffs either directly from shop or direct selling sites like flipkart , times etc.

Yes but another problem is courier person is not ready to take item back ONCE YOU OPEN IT. Courier person is NOT BOUND either. Because that can lend them in trouble. Once item is opened by buyer and returned to courier, then the seller can CLAIM that it was courier guy who opened the box and took away the item.

They say if you doubt seller then return item un-opened. Or accept the box AS IS at your risk. They are not ready to take opened item back.

Also you have to take care that you open the box carefully so that it can be returned AS IS (if any problem is found). But now opening box, checking mobile, finding fault, re-packaging box... All these itself will take 10-15 minutes. NO COURIER GUY WOULD BE READY TO WAIT SO LONG. They have other deliveries to make.