Thuppakki

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 2,358
I still cant understand how is Ghajini a remake of Memento.

Memento is a very very different movie, where the hero is actually the villain. Murgadoss just tweaked a part of the story, add Indian elements to it.

Dont think Indian mainstream audience is yet ready for Christopher Nolan
Ghajini is not a frame to frame remake of Memento. It took me 2 watches to understand Memento. Indian audience is not ready for Memento.

The fact is, Murgadoss took the core and premise of Memento. He added songs which became super hits (in Tamil at least). Then, he developed the character of Asin which is not present in Memento. But still, the premise and the main elements are not his idea.

He just took the amnesia and polaroid part else everything else is different!Everyone generally keeps saying that it is a rip off which is not!

well the thing is any movie featuring dinosaurs would be called a copy of jurrasic park. 🙂 that's how it is.

The short term memory loss, the polaroid, stuff written all over the hero's torso, him going after the guy(s) who killed his wife/girl friend. That's what the movie is about. One can develop a screenplay but without the premise, there's no screenplay. I say Murugadoss plagiarised Memento. If you disagree, let's agree to disagree.There's a Japanese movie called "Rashomon" by Akira Kurusawa. A crime is committed and there are 4 witnesses . They all describe the incident in four contradictory ways. This came to be called "Rashomon effect" in movie parlance.Now Kamal Haasan did movie called "Virumaandi" which used the Rashomon effect. Kamal's wife gets murdered. Both Kamal and the villain gets arrested. In the first half of the movie, a reporter interviews the villain. He narrates a story and all incidents show Kamal's character in a bad light. In the second half, the reporter interviews Kamal. He narrates the same set of incidents in a different light which shows him in a good light and how his wife got actually murdered. Now, this is taking a literary concept created by someone else and creating your own story and screenplay. What Murgadoss did with Gajini is plagiarism.

well the thing is any movie featuring dinosaurs would be called a copy of jurrasic park. 🙂 that's how it is.

if not for jurrassic park , we wouldnt have seen dinosaurs on screen
thats how it is

as for memento and gajini
gajini is indian flavoured memento , memento is a brilliant movie
while gajini is just a average one , director got "inspired" by memento which means the idea wasnt his own
that means he just ripped off , either the whole or just the meat part 🙂

Exactly. I've seen both the Hindi and Tamil movies. The last part of the tamil movie was horrible. The villain suddenly has a twin brother who looks exactly like him. It was complete bullshit.

Exactly. I've seen both the Hindi and Tamil movies. The last part of the tamil movie was horrible. The villain suddenly has a twin brother who looks exactly like him. It was complete bullshit.

for those who havent seen memento , gajini tamil was a new concept
but aamir did gajini better than surya

like u said , climax sequence in gajini tamil was so so soooooooooo horrible :warning:

Well Memento starts with Guy Pearce being the hero and ultimately we will come to know that it is the villain.

My point is there is nothing original in this world with millions of movies already created, just they way the story is presented in front of audience is different.

Take the case of Akira Kurusawa's "Seven Samurai". You can see how many different movies in hollywood and elsewhere are inspired by that. Is that plagiarism.

So many movies in 70s and 80s were based on lost and found (bichde bhai, kumbh ka mela types).

Imagine God Father and see how many movies made on mafia resemble it. Does it mean its plagiarism?

for those who havent seen memento , gajini tamil was a new concept
but aamir did gajini better than surya

like u said , climax sequence in gajini tamil was so so soooooooooo horrible :warning:

The climax in Tamil was horrible but having seen it first in Tamil (I watched telugu dubbed version), I find Surya's acting better. Aamir seemed too old for the role.

The short term memory loss, the polaroid, stuff written all over the hero's torso, him going after the guy(s) who killed his wife/girl friend. That's what the movie is about. One can develop a screenplay but without the premise, there's no screenplay. I say Murugadoss plagiarised Memento. If you disagree, let's agree to disagree.

There's a Japanese movie called "Rashomon" by Akira Kurusawa. A crime is committed and there are 4 witnesses . They all describe the incident in four contradictory ways. This came to be called "Rashomon effect" in movie parlance.

Now Kamal Haasan did movie called "Virumaandi" which used the Rashomon effect. Kamal's wife gets murdered. Both Kamal and the villain gets arrested. In the first half of the movie, a reporter interviews the villain. He narrates a story and all incidents show Kamal's character in a bad light. In the second half, the reporter interviews Kamal. He narrates the same set of incidents in a different light which shows him in a good light and how his wife got actually murdered. Now, this is taking a literary concept created by someone else and creating your own story and screenplay. What Murgadoss did with Gajini is plagiarism.