Google.com on Smartphones

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 1,082
Yeah I noticed today. Look nice.

google+ mobile app does it the same way. so does plenty of apps. this is how the menus are used in most modern apps.

I am not talking about app.Its about browser based access. If you access FB via mobile browser (like FF, dolphin), you still get app like menu. Google seems to have copied this from FB.

and what i am trying to say is that mobile apps and mobile web apps are getting similar design outlooks. google+ mobile app already uses a menu like this. they have just replicated on their mobile web app.

and yes, facebook.com on mobile was indeed the first web app that i noticed using a menu system like this. i know because i hated it. and i hate to see it being used by mobile apps as well.

i believe gmail on Apple ios uses a similar menu today as well. so if facebook was indeed the first one to come up with this ui, it makes me sad that google is replicating it everywhere.

https://imgur.com/w9LDl

at least on android this design pattern is not used on gmail on android but going by how popular it has become with google developers, i am rather sure that gmail on android would soon feature this same menu as well. :\

I still dont know if I like that design or not.What I dont like is, its bit slow. Scrolling is annoying.Worst in case of Facebook is that, "logout" button is way at the end of that menu.

yeah. if the experience is not that good on a 4.7" display, i am not sure how it would be on phones with 3.5" displays. i get that that this ui enables for faster access to a lot of options without requiring the user to load a new screen full of buttons like facebook and google+ apps liked to have in the past. but i still do not like it. g+ for example has notifications in this bar which means that i have to scroll down and down and down to check them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=00xUH86sJV0cool. at least gmail on android would not do this in the near future 😀 video showcasing a leaked build of the next update!