Lance Armstrong Doping Case

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 5,016
most likely not. it was just an angry post. i mean even i was surprised when the allegations were initially made. this guy is a hero for millions of people out there. i mean he is the tiger woods of the cycling world. people do not watch cycling but they know who lance amrstrong is. i consider his case to be worse than that of Marion Jones and other superstars who ended up admitting doping.

Cheating can actually be a broad word as it can include match fixing, doping, purposely playing below par or making team decisions that might influence the draw. Taking a performance enhancing drug leads to a ban. About jail is a bit dodgy. Also the sport, the rules that govern them, the country where the act happened all makes a difference. Hansie Cronje admitted fixing, do not remember him being jailed. The Pak trio of Butt, Aamir & Asif on the other hand served jail sentences (though reduced ones). We regularly read of players being stripped of medals, but dont think all go to jail. In Olympics, in badminton, a few players tried to play below par to get a better draw & they were banned. Is it not a type of match fixing? Another instance was when in 1999 World Cup when Aus tried to help West Indies qualify & hence allow them to get some extra points which they did not get because despite their effort Newzealnd qualified. This instance was laughed off as a strategic attempt & since it was not provable as such, nothing could be done.

the sporting body might not be able to jail him. but i hope his past sponsors are able to target him for fraud or whatever and basically bankrupt him at least. :Shoot:

Found this in the comments section of the cnn article.

Obviously you do not know how to read. The USDA report clearly states he was concluded to have used banned substances by "non analytical reasons."
In other words he passed every drug test. His guilt is being placed on hearsay evidence. And those testifying have each failed a drug test. Seven out of the eleven on the team failed. Armstrong is one of four who did not. But because the seven were found by scientific means, they are simply throwing the other four under the bus with them.

Seems this guy passed all the tests, so on what grounds will he be convicted.

Link to CNN article Reports: Armstrong admits to Oprah he cheated during cycling career - CNN.com

Another excellent article which says that his PR did a great job to handle this. Must read.

Lance Armstrong and the cost-benefit analysis of confession | Matt Seaton | Sport | guardian.co.uk

In short, this now looks like a carefully choreographed, slow-release PR plan – likely managed by Armstrong's long-time agent Bill Stapleton – to perform a 180-degree turn on all previously held positions: belligerent denial, self-righteous indignation and bullying belittling of accusers. Instead, we have Lance Armstrong the penitent sinner: the weepy, choked-up prodigal son, who is finally coming clean and seeks redemption. As is well-established, an audience with Oprah achieves that almost instantaneously: I can see her right now, reaching out and taking his hand as he shakes with emotion and talks about the pain of living the false life we all made him lead.

And from redemption to rehabilitation. Armstrong will leverage his confession to the maximum to get his lifetime ban reduced, to four years, perhaps less. He'll be back before we know it: a slightly grizzled and more wrinkled version of himself, glad-handing and fist-bumping on the triathlon circuit, getting back to fundraising for the Livestrong Foundation, making faux-humble speeches for fat fees on the after-dinner circuit, mopping up some handy corporate sponsorships, reconnecting with his Washington power-broker contacts, and – older and wiser – maybe even running for office himself, as was once mooted.

Seems this guy passed all the tests, so on what grounds will he be convicted.

There are loads of ways to cheat without getting detected. Cyclists can artifically pump up their RBC levels. Some people even argue as to why performance steroids are illegal. there have been some long term studies showing almost no permanent side effects of steroid use. you know Tiger Woods had Lasik surgery done. His vision is now better than perfect. In a sport where estimating distances etc. just by seeing them plays such a crucial role, isn't that cheating?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_doping

But sportsmen are tried in courts when they fail the tests, but it did not happen in his case.I guess Landis (his colleague) and couple of older colleagues might testify, but how to judge the quantum of cheating

Lance Armstrong could face US legal action after confession | NDTV.com

The US government can take Lance Armstrong to court once the fallen cycling hero publicly admits to doping, experts and people familiar with the matter say.

"Because he has now admitted he doped, that makes it a lot easier to prove a fraud claim," said sports lawyer Brian Socolow.

"Given that he has now said that he did use performance-enhancing drugs, the government is given the opportunity to reopen an investigation."

Peter Keane, a law professor at Golden Gate University, said Armstrong could face criminal prosecution over the government sponsorship he received while riding on the US Postal team from 1998-2004.

From what I understand is that though the sporting body etc may not have been able to make him go to jail. Things like grants etc received from government may bring him under the net for prosecution.

Hmm. Maybe he was already under scanner for prosecution & wants to get some leniency or sympathy in his favour. So did he cry etc?

From what I've heard, he was not the only one. His team mate used steroids too, so did many other players. Unfair to single him out though.

Well he is the star player. Others would get similar treatment but would not get as many headlines.

Hmm. Maybe he was already under scanner for prosecution & wants to get some leniency or sympathy in his favour. So did he cry etc?

hm...as per news he was all clear until what he said in show 😛

hm...as per news he was all clear until what he said in show 😛

Lance deserves the strongest punishment , coz he projected himself as the model inspiration for thousands of people for last 14 years. He sold books based on lies gave motivational speeches throughout the world.In the interview he was non-apologetic and openly declared he would not have caught if he wouldn't have returned from retirement in 2009. He also said he was a bully confirming the allegations that he was the ring master and forced his co athletes in doping too. During the interview Armstrong says he did not feel he was cheating at the time and viewed it as a 'level playing field'. He did not feel wrong doing it.In last 14 years,Armstrong not only denied the doping allegations, he brazenly went about defending it. He filed cases against journalists and media houses, whoever had accused him of being a doper.This man is a douche-bag and only gave a interview to gain sympathy and earn millions of dollars from OWN network though oprah denied giving money to him.

Also from what i hear... He openly allow his brand used for dubious product endorsements probably in exchange for money.