Boeing 727 crashed intentionally for a documentary by Discovery Channel

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,010
... fatal air crashes are extremely rare

I think this is a misquoted statement. It should be "Air crashes are extremely rare". But fatal air crashes are rare?!?! Seriously? If air plane crashes, i am sure very rarely we see survival.

This too is a joke!
.. odds of dying in a car crash are 1 in 98, according to the U.S. National Safety Council; the odds of dying in an “air or space transport accident” are 1 in 7,178

The statement is wrong. The statement literally means that "if plane crash happen, u will die 1 out of 7178 times" but i think it actually means "odds of plane crashing is 1 in 7178"

True interpretation cud be that out of 98 people only 1 die in car accident. And out of 7178 people only 1 die in plane crash.But then this does not prove logical in proving that plane crashes are NOT FATAL Or travel by air is more safe. Which this article wrongly implies.

air travel is safer than compared to road travel............thats a fact

You may think that traveling by plane is inherently more dangerous than driving an automobile. After all, an air crash is catastrophic, with more loss of life, injury and property damage than a car accident. A few U.S. government statistics can shed light on this question.
Driving
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration compiles and researches accident statistics for the entire country. Its 2008 Traffic Safety Facts Data boils down the millions of accidents and other statistics to 1.27 fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. In contrast, the 1998 rate was 1.58 fatalities per 100 million miles.
Flying
The National Transportation Safety Board compiles aviation accident data. Preliminary statistics for 2008 show only 20 accidents for U.S. air carriers operating scheduled service. This works out to nearly zero accidents per million flying miles. No one died, and only five people were seriously injured.
Comparisons
In absolute numbers, driving is more dangerous, with more than 5 million accidents compared to 20 accidents in flying. A more direct comparison per 100 million miles pits driving's 1.27 fatalities and 80 injuries against flying's lack of deaths and almost no injuries, which again shows air travel to be safer.
Odds
The National Safety Council compiled an odds-of-dying table for 2008, which further illustrates the relative risks of flying and driving safety. It calculated the odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident to be 1 in 98 for a lifetime. For air and space transport (including air taxis and private flights), the odds were 1 in 7,178 for a lifetime, according to the table.
Conclusion
Statistically speaking, flying is far safer than driving. However, it may feel more dangerous because risk perception is based on more than facts, according to David Ropeik, risk communication instructor at Harvard School of Public Health. Driving affords more personal control, making it feel safer. In addition, plane crashes are catastrophic, killing more people at once, which grabs more attention and makes people more sensitive to them. Car crashes happen every day and spread the loss over time, making their combined effects less noticeable.
References
NHTSA.DOT.gov: 2008 Traffic Safety Facts
NTSB.gov: 1989-2008 Aviation Accident Statistics
NTSB.gov: 1989-2008 Passenger Injuries

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/air-travel-safer-car-travel-1581.html

I am not denying that.I am saying that previous article twists this fact by smart use of words.

i do not see anything in the moderation queue. here to say i did not do anything.

ohh.......forum again double posted it i think and it was not visible ..............wen i tried to edit i could see same link twice and removed one :Confuzzled: