Any good Wi-fi router alternative to 450TC1?

• Thread starter Thread starter bhat
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 11,887

bhat

ISP
MTNL
So I have been using the stock router (Beetal 450TC1) that i got from MTNL since a year but the range is pretty bad. The maximum range is about 10 meters. Is there any other good alternative router that is compatible with the MTNL connection.I am looking for something that will give me atleast 50 feet of range through 4 walls if I am sitting in one corner of my house. My budget is around 1500 rupees. Thanks.

80 views and no help?

I think inbuilt modem should be there because it will be very tricky to plug in separate modem and router, (at least in my flat where master bedroom is having only 2 switches).

reminds me i would have to get a bigger power strip when bsnl guys install their connection at my place. my current strip has 5 ports and all of them are used! 1. CPU2. Display3. Speaker4. Airtel Modem5. My Wi-Fi RouterI would need an additional power port for the BSNL Modem 😱

Power switches aren't a problem I have extra spike guards lying around.Also Every room and every corner in my living room has a phone line connection. Does that help? My objective is to have wireless access in every corner of my house and do it under a tight budget. Also how is a router different from a modem?

well i think positioning has a very big factor in this and the design of your home. Remember that wifi cannot penetrate walls. It can only reflect the waves off the walls. Now if you have a very big home then it makes sense to have repeaters or set up a MESH network. Your last option can be to go for Small business routers like rukus which have good range about 30m max. they still fair very badly indoors cause of all the walls.

Repeaters are very expensive and small business routers too, I don't want to spend more than 2000 rupees. The apartment is around 1800 sq feet which is moderate but my modem/router is in one corner of my house connected to my desktop and I don't get range in many other parts of my house. Is there any way I can get a modem to function somewhere in the middle of my house and get internet access on my desktop which is in one corner of my house. I believe the router placement is the problem.

If your budget is 2000 You are not going to get anything better than a basic home wifi router which will give 10-15m max coverage with the Router in line of sight the best option is position the router where you get Max line of sight with your rooms. Good luck

yes you should be going for the other modem plus router combo of TP-Link w8951 1725rs as ur current 450tc1 is router n modem combo....it saves hassles of having two separate devices

I'm using the TP-Link WR841N since the last 2 months, with an MTNL 450TC1 as a modem.

It's great. On the cheaper side, and provides better coverage than my previous Linksys WRH54G.

I got it from Lamington Road, Mumbai for 1500.

This: TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N | Router | Flipkart.com

Thanks you have pretty much summed up what I want. Although how did you set it up? As in do I have to disable the Wireless connection from my 450TC? I have a few more questions but I'll trouble you this much for now. 🙂

Hi Bhat !! I suggest buy a Netgear N+ router with a 5 - 8 mtr. LAN cable. place it somewhere in middle of the house with same SSID & password (with same encryption) as you have in ur 450TC1. if you are tech savvy you can configure you netgear as a repeater also.2nd Option:i am using this h**p://www.ebay.in/itm/Huawei-HG556a-3G-Wi-Fi-Lan-Router-Adsl2-Router-3G-Usb-Adsl-Combo-Router-300M-/270872082475this give me a very very good coverage, this is avl in market at around 2KAmit........🙂

Hi Bhat !!

I suggest buy a Netgear N+ router with a 5 - 8 mtr. LAN cable. place it somewhere in middle of the house with same SSID & password (with same encryption) as you have in ur 450TC1.

if you are tech savvy you can configure you netgear as a repeater also.

2nd Option:

i am using this h**p://www.ebay.in/itm/Huawei-HG556a-3G-Wi-Fi-Lan-Router-Adsl2-Router-3G-Usb-Adsl-Combo-Router-300M-/270872082475

this give me a very very good coverage, this is avl in market at around 2K

Amit........🙂

Thanks Amit, but my router or modem is connected to my Desktop which is in one corner of my house and it wont be possible to have a router wire on the floor till my living room (which is in the center). I read about that but it voids your warranty since you have to tweak voltages and it's a bit risky too.
I will consider the huawei router even though it's a little pricey. 🙂