Any good Wi-fi router alternative to 450TC1?

• Thread starter Thread starter bhat
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 11,885
Okay so can anyone from here give me more info on Wireless cards for desktops? My friend told me that I can keep my router in any room and the wireless card will catch the signal as long as it's in range. Some verification and info please. Thanks.

Thanks you have pretty much summed up what I want. Although how did you set it up? As in do I have to disable the Wireless connection from my 450TC? I have a few more questions but I'll trouble you this much for now. 🙂

I got the wireless from MTNL replaced for a 410TC. If you plan to use the 450TC then yes, you'd have to disable the wireless.

Also, you can use the TP-Link as a bridge and broadcast your 450's SSID and network, to a wider range, by placing the wirless in a different location, not necessarily close to your desktop. That should cover a broader area, with a better range. Although, the TP-Link for me seems to reach those places where the Linksys didn't (and thus covering my whole house really well). But that's what I expected anyway. And that doesn't require a bridge connection.

Surely go ahead with all the questions you've got 🙂. Would be happy to help 🙂.

Okay so can anyone from here give me more info on Wireless cards for desktops? My friend told me that I can keep my router in any room and the wireless card will catch the signal as long as it's in range. Some verification and info please. Thanks.

You probably wouldn't need it. Connecting your computer directly to your router or modem will get you the internet. To be on the same network and for file sharing, specifically connect it to the router.

If you use a bridge network (a network where you use more than one routers, the 2nd one just re-broadcasts the primary's signal), you can connect your modem to your desktop, and still be on the same network.

For maximum coverage, if the TP-Link doesn't suffice you from the corner of the house where you desktop is, you can bridge. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Good wireless cards cost around 1500. But, they are placed towards the back of the desktop, you'll face signal receiving issues if something blocks direct signal (like a wooden study table).

I got the wireless from MTNL replaced for a 410TC. If you plan to use the 450TC then yes, you'd have to disable the wireless.

Also, you can use the TP-Link as a bridge and broadcast your 450's SSID and network, to a wider range, by placing the wirless in a different location, not necessarily close to your desktop. That should cover a broader area, with a better range. Although, the TP-Link for me seems to reach those places where the Linksys didn't (and thus covering my whole house really well). But that's what I expected anyway. And that doesn't require a bridge connection.

Surely go ahead with all the questions you've got 🙂. Would be happy to help 🙂.

Okay so first of all thanks a lot. Secondly I am a complete Layman in this field so I may ask annoying questions once in a while.
1.> I would like if you elaborate this - "you can use the TP-Link as a bridge and broadcast your 450's SSID and network, to a wider range". From your explanation what I understand is that this router need not be connected to my modem (450TC1) with a wire into WAN or Internet port of the Router, instead I could place it in another room, as long as it is in the range of the modem and it will throw the signal or broadcast it.

2.> Also from what I have heard is that routers generally need 2 wired connections that is one from the modem and one that goes from the router to the computer. Does the Tp-link one need these connections or does it wireless-ly broadcast my modem's signal (450TC I think is a modem\router).

Thanks for your help. 🙂

Okay so first of all thanks a lot. Secondly I am a complete Layman in this field so I may ask annoying questions once in a while.
1.> I would like if you elaborate this - "you can use the TP-Link as a bridge and broadcast your 450's SSID and network, to a wider range". From your explanation what I understand is that this router need not be connected to my modem (450TC1) with a wire into WAN or Internet port of the Router, instead I could place it in another room, as long as it is in the range of the modem and it will throw the signal or broadcast it.

Yes. Exactly so. And the TP-Link router I suggested supports it. http://screensnapr.com/e/fFnHY3.jpg

Although, that means you will be using 802.11G. And not the faster 150Mbps or 300Mbps 802.11N. And thus, I say that bridging should be your second option if and only if the TP-Link doesn't broadcast to your entire home, or those places where you need internet.

2.> Also from what I have heard is that routers generally need 2 wired connections that is one from the modem and one that goes from the router to the computer. Does the Tp-link one need these connections or does it wireless-ly broadcast my modem's signal (450TC I think is a modem\router).

Your network is hosted by your router. Every device on your network has to have a wired or a wireless connection with your router. A wired connection from your modem to your router, lets you access internet from every device connected to your router.

A modem hosts internet. And a router shares it to everything.

Your 450TC is both, a modem and router.

When you make the switch, you'll be using the 450TC exclusively as a modem and the TP-Link as a router, if you use the normal connection. Or, if you choose a bridge connection, the 450TC will be your modem and primary router, and the TP-Link will be your secondary, broadcasting router.

If you need only internet on your PC, you can connect it to your modem. If you need file sharing over your network too, then connect the PC to your router. (Remember which is or isn't a router according to your case and what you choose to do, i.e., a bridged or a wireless connection.)

Anything else, let me know 🙂.

hi bhat, yesterday i have installed a wifi card in my desktop i had ordered TP-Link wifi adapter...connecting is very easy....once installed it shows you all available netwrks and connects easily....

TP LINK 150 Mbps TL-WN721N Wireless N | Usb Adaptor | Flipkart.com

its available only for 632 bucks....if you want to rely on higher brands like Belkin it comes at 780

Belkin N150 Wireless USB Adapter | Usb Adaptor | Flipkart.com

and forgot to mention tplink wifi adapter comes with usb extension cable so u dont have to insert in the backside of the desktop which might reduce wifi pickup....u can just keep it beside the pc monitor with the cable attached...

hi bhat, yesterday i have installed a wifi card in my desktop i had ordered TP-Link wifi adapter...connecting is very easy....once installed it shows you all available netwrks and connects easily....

TP LINK 150 Mbps TL-WN721N Wireless N | Usb Adaptor | Flipkart.com

It looks good but the signal range won't be sufficient so as to use it in my other rooms which are almost 20 meters away and 4 walls through.

its available only for 632 bucks....if you want to rely on higher brands like Belkin it comes at 780

Belkin N150 Wireless USB Adapter | Usb Adaptor | Flipkart.com

and forgot to mention tplink wifi adapter comes with usb extension cable so u dont have to insert in the backside of the desktop which might reduce wifi pickup....u can just keep it beside the pc monitor with the cable attached...

Yes. Exactly so. And the TP-Link router I suggested supports it. http://screensnapr.com/e/fFnHY3.jpg

Although, that means you will be using 802.11G. And not the faster 150Mbps or 300Mbps 802.11N. And thus, I say that bridging should be your second option if and only if the TP-Link doesn't broadcast to your entire home, or those places where you need internet.

Your network is hosted by your router. Every device on your network has to have a wired or a wireless connection with your router. A wired connection from your modem to your router, lets you access internet from every device connected to your router.

A modem hosts internet. And a router shares it to everything.

Your 450TC is both, a modem and router.

When you make the switch, you'll be using the 450TC exclusively as a modem and the TP-Link as a router, if you use the normal connection. Or, if you choose a bridge connection, the 450TC will be your modem and primary router, and the TP-Link will be your secondary, broadcasting router.

If you need only internet on your PC, you can connect it to your modem. If you need file sharing over your network too, then connect the PC to your router. (Remember which is or isn't a router according to your case and what you choose to do, i.e., a bridged or a wireless connection.)

Anything else, let me know 🙂.

Okay so I'll recap everything. Firstly I should disable the wireless network from my 450TC then connect the router in and see if i get connection everywhere. If that doesn't work then I should broadcast it. How does that work? Like the 450TC will be my modem and primary router, that means I leave the 450TC's wireless network on and not disable it? Also the TP-link will be my secondary router, does this mean I need to connect it by wire to my primary router(450TC) or can I place it anywhere in my house as above?

Okay so I'll recap everything. Firstly I should disable the wireless network from my 450TC then connect the router in and see if i get connection everywhere. If that doesn't work then I should broadcast it. How does that work? Like the 450TC will be my modem and primary router, that means I leave the 450TC's wireless network on and not disable it? Also the TP-Link will be my secondary router, does this mean I need to connect it by wire to my primary router(450TC) or can I place it anywhere in my house as above?

Case 1: Perfect.

Case 2: You enable 450TC's wireless. Set-up the TP-Link as a bridge connection (it'll be a dropdown on the first page) and you should be good to go then, it'll be easy to figure out. And no, you don't have to connect the TP-Link to the 450TC in this case. Simply keep it in a location (after setup) where the 450TC's network reaches and that should be good 🙂.

Case 1: Perfect.

Case 2: You enable 450TC's wireless. Set-up the TP-Link as a bridge connection (it'll be a dropdown on the first page) and you should be good to go then, it'll be easy to figure out. And no, you don't have to connect the TP-Link to the 450TC in this case. Simply keep it in a location (after setup) where the 450TC's network reaches and that should be good 🙂.

Okay so what are the disadvantages of case 2? Like slower internet connection? I have a 1 mbps unlimited Mtnl plan. I get around 120 kBps download, will this get affected or something?

Okay so what are the disadvantages of case 2? Like slower internet connection? I have a 1 mbps unlimited Mtnl plan. I get around 120 kBps download, will this get affected or something?

There are a few disadvantages of case 2:
1) It will be an 802.11G network, even though your new TP-Link router can broadcast the newer 802.11N network. That means maximum file transfer speeds of 54Mbps, instead of the 300Mbps which your new router can potentially host.

2) You might (this depends) lose 10kbps over the air in internet speed. It is a sheer possibility on the loss that can happen, nothing says it will happen. Data loss over bridge is subjective and rare too, but possible.

There are a few disadvantages of case 2:
1) It will be an 802.11G network, even though your new TP-Link router can broadcast the newer 802.11N network. That means maximum file transfer speeds of 54Mbps, instead of the 300Mbps which your new router can potentially host.

2) You might (this depends) lose 10kbps over the air in internet speed. It is a sheer possibility on the loss that can happen, nothing says it will happen. Data loss over bridge is subjective and rare too, but possible.

Thanks man that helped me a lot! You have been really helpful! 🙂

Thanks man that helped me a lot! You have been really helpful! 🙂

Been there around 2 months so ago. Better to help someone else than let the knowledge and research go waste 🙂.