Any good Wi-fi router alternative to 450TC1?

bhat

[OP]
Oct 8, 2012
So I have been using the stock router (Beetal 450TC1) that i got from MTNL since a year but the range is pretty bad. The maximum range is about 10 meters. Is there any other good alternative router that is compatible with the MTNL connection.I am looking for something that will give me atleast 50 feet of range through 4 walls if I am sitting in one corner of my house. My budget is around 1500 rupees. Thanks.

amitnsonu

Regular
Regulars
Apr 23, 2010
I think inbuilt modem should be there because it will be very tricky to plug in separate modem and router, (at least in my flat where master bedroom is having only 2 switches).

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
reminds me i would have to get a bigger power strip when bsnl guys install their connection at my place. my current strip has 5 ports and all of them are used! 1. CPU2. Display3. Speaker4. Airtel Modem5. My Wi-Fi RouterI would need an additional power port for the BSNL Modem :eek:

bhat

[OP]
Oct 8, 2012
Power switches aren't a problem I have extra spike guards lying around.Also Every room and every corner in my living room has a phone line connection. Does that help? My objective is to have wireless access in every corner of my house and do it under a tight budget. Also how is a router different from a modem?

niksad8

Apr 27, 2010
well i think positioning has a very big factor in this and the design of your home. Remember that wifi cannot penetrate walls. It can only reflect the waves off the walls. Now if you have a very big home then it makes sense to have repeaters or set up a MESH network. Your last option can be to go for Small business routers like rukus which have good range about 30m max. they still fair very badly indoors cause of all the walls.

bhat

[OP]
Oct 8, 2012
Repeaters are very expensive and small business routers too, I don't want to spend more than 2000 rupees. The apartment is around 1800 sq feet which is moderate but my modem/router is in one corner of my house connected to my desktop and I don't get range in many other parts of my house. Is there any way I can get a modem to function somewhere in the middle of my house and get internet access on my desktop which is in one corner of my house. I believe the router placement is the problem.

niksad8

Apr 27, 2010
If your budget is 2000 You are not going to get anything better than a basic home wifi router which will give 10-15m max coverage with the Router in line of sight the best option is position the router where you get Max line of sight with your rooms. Good luck