User Review: Samsung Galaxy S II

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaymin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 148
  • Views Views 20,593
Posting the thread (So that i dont forget) for now, and update the details in next 1 or 2 days!

@ Sushubh, may be u can move Mascot's experience of S3 purchase, "ACP Pradyuman"s purchase of Pantech phone and such threads to this section.

So here it goes.....

I hadnt took any photo of S2 till now, and just took one to post here (Excuse me for the lower resolution, as my Nokia N78 has 3.2 MP camera!)

PS: Dont ask me, why i have applied "talc" to the phone. Home is under repairs, and there are these particles stuck on it. Will clean it, or just replace the scratchguard, once everything is over! 😀

Few screenshots i had taken on the phone.....

Some background to my purchase......

Now this was my first Android phone (Bought on October 25, 2011). Till then, i was a Nokia loyalist, and never believed that Symbian had any competition in the first place. I had used Nokia 6260, 3230, and N78. But when i saw this beast (Yeah it was a beast then!) with one of my friend, i was just awed & decided that i have to have this phone.

Review.....

Being my first Android, i was just awed by the first hand experience. It was a difficult migration as well, from Symbian non-touch, to Android, touch. It costed me for Rs. 28,000.

Accessories:
1) The leather case, USB cable, the charger & ofcourse the earphones were the accessories i got bundled in the pack.
2) I added it up with the scratch guard, & a 16 GB external Memory for another 499+1250 bucks. I did buy a Philips headphone of Rs. 295 hoping to improve my Music experience, but its lying useless now, as it isnt upto the mark.
3) A few months back i bought a Capdase car stand for it, which costed another 810 bucks and its coming really handy at the Office desk!
4) Yesterday i got iBall Power Bank for the phone, which has costed 2,200......though technically speaking its not just for this phone. Its for all the phones we own at our home!

Coming to the camera performance.....

For a feature rich phone, this kind of camera comes in really handy! Following are some of the snaps i took from the 8 MP Rear camera:

Looking at the snaps, i wud say it is much more than a decent offering. Atleast for a casual photographer! It has helped me capture snaps of some fun/happy moments at office and share it with the colleagues. And they always praise the quality of the camera.

The experiments i have done with it

To begin with, i was very very skeptical of even modifying its looks by installing new launchers. But then i soon got fed up of the TouchWiz Launcher (Default that was installed by Samsung) & installed Go Launcher (The best option i guess for Gingerbread).
When ICS was launched a few days after my purchase, i was waiting eagerly for it to be available officially for my phone as well. In around March 2012 or so, it did become available. I eagerly hooked the phone via Kies to PC & started downloading the update.

The download did finish after struggling for more than 3-4 hours with it. And then, it started to install. During the installation, some damn file failed to initialise & the setup got stuck. I had ended up bricking my phone. Then i took the brave decision (For someone who didnt even change the launcher initially, this has to be a brave step!) to use Odin and flashed the ROM manually.

This adventure, though successful, eventually disappointed me, as Samsung had really messed up ICS with its bloatware. Fed up of that, i took another brave step - root the phone & install a custom OS. I installed the Pure ICS ROM, which was really good, and gave a good ICS experience.

Then came Jellybean.....i installed the most stable ROM available but had a few very nagging drawbacks with it.....

No Wifi Direct, too low Volume, No connectivity via USB as a Mass Storage Device were the major of those. I even tried out Pure JB, which had the same troubles. So i ditched everything & have reverted back to Pure ICS!

Phew! Have covered quite a few things......still, let me know in case i have missed out on anything. I have purposely ignored the specs part, as it is freely available all over the net! Still, the link to gsmarena......

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9100_galaxy_s_ii-3621.php

For ROMs relevant for this phone, follow this site: http://www.galaxys2roms.com/

Signal bar refreshing issue detected with pure ics 7.6, when moving out of coverage area its showing full strength until you open About>signal and other details page.

I have never faced that issue till now. :S Who is ur service provider? I didnt face that issue in Idea or in Vodafone.

Idea, Today I noticed when travelling back from office to home, and when I opened the About page, it refreshes. Only thing I dont like about this ROM till now, otherwise happy with it.I am thinking of flashing again by clearing cache and system data.

May be yes. But i havent faced that bug till now. Try posting this query on XDA thread itself, see what they have to say for it.

Ok, have you tried new 4.0.4 ICS Stock ROM?just reseted to factory state after clearing cache and data, but still same problem, on first launch showing 2-3 bars, when opened about>status page, refreshed to full signal.

Dont understand whats the issue then.....and for the ICS 4.0.4 Stock ROM - nopes, havent tried it. And i have no intentions of doing so. I m now waiting for a version of JB, that is free of nagging things i have mentioned. Or may wait for the next version of Android.....some Lime Pie it was.....dont remember what name was being discussed few months back!

flashed with 4.0.4, lolzz..fone serial no is gone...not detecting SN. flashing with 4.0.3

Dont flash with new rom..its not able to read your phones serial number...After fresh flashing with custom seems to be working jaymin bro.Will update if problem found.

have you tested cynogenmod 9? I want to try but you know in excitement always something bad happens!