• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 103
  • Views Views 16,096

mreccentric

Addict
I got banned!
ISP
Airtel / ACT / BSNL
Nowadays, all mobile devices come with GPS Navigation tool in them. Share your experiences of that feature in your mobile device.6 months or back, i first used the GPS feature in my iPod Touch 4G. Since i had no connection of Wifi when on the go. I surfed the map all along the route in my home, so that it will be stored in cache. The GPS feature in the iPod was not that much satisfying, as it did not pointed my exact location while i was traveling. The pointer used to disappear and appear every now and then. Moreover, the mpas in iPod Touch wont load in Touch without Internet(Wifi). So, that was my experience while i tried to use it. Neither did the map rotate while the vehicle rotated.Which one do you think is the best mobile device providing good GPS Navigation. BTW, have you used any hacks to get this cool?

Well GPS is rather dependent on your mobile net connection (3G/wifi). If they suck, your GPS will also suck.

Well GPS is rather dependent on your mobile net connection (3G/wifi). If they suck, your GPS will also suck.

You mean to say 2G network wont be good? BTW, how about offline maps which are out there... they dont reqire internet.
My point was that the GPS feature in iTouch 4G sucks. Probably, even if i used some offline maps with no internet, it wouldn't have been accurate. It is highly inaccurate. Expect it to be proper in Samsung Galaxy.

IPod touch doesnt have GPS afaik. If you want an offline solution, you can look at sygic mapmyindia (paid) there is a free one called navfree but I don't know whether it works offline or not.

From where on earth did you get this info?
GPS is independent technology. I use sygic maps all the time i drive. location is always pin point. I have Galaxy Note which has A-GPS support and GLONASS. this is a deadly combination. gps with glonass provides very accurate location. While driving my location is correct upto 5m all the time. And to add on sygic do not require data.

oye! iPod touch 4g GPS? it doesn't have that! its purely based on your wifi!

however newer offer proper GPS! Please I think the Galaxy nexus has a proper GPS and the Bold 9900 too.

From where on earth did you get this info?
GPS is independent technology. I use sygic maps all the time i drive. location is always pin point. I have Galaxy Note which has A-GPS support and GLONASS. this is a deadly combination. gps with glonass provides very accurate location. While driving my location is correct upto 5m all the time. And to add on sygic do not require data.
only if the phone doesn't have the GPS hardware, it will rely on the network, like in my 8520

only if the phone doesn't have the GPS hardware, it will rely on the network, like in my 8520

In that case it is not GPS

hey are these mapmyindia etc one time investment?
Yes it is. You'll have access to updates as well. But before purchasing it, try the free alternatives to see if they fit your bill.

The best option would be google navigation which would be preloaded, remains always updated and shows traffic conditions too. The only problem is that it will need a data connection, you can cache the maps offline so it will use only a slight amount of data for computing the route etc. Would work fine with a 2G/EDGE internet plan as well.

but its pretty expensive too. I am not sure someone buying a 6000 rupee phone wants to shell out 1,400 Rs. just for a navigation software.

I use Sygic in S2..Highly accurate upto 5m as Aviral said...better performance and accuracy than Google map.@Bobby: Bro it just use mobile network to load map(in case you dont have offline map installed) and to get your coarse location.