• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 6,581

5G versus Wi-Fi fight - who will win?

• Total voters

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Microscan 500 mbps and PDPL 300 mbps.
Does anyone else foresee 5G (and beyond) technology eventually killing off or at least relegating Wi-Fi technology to niche usage like only indoor extremely high speed intranet?

Analogy would be similar to how SSD technology has pretty much relegated HDD technology to niche use cases like very high volume data storage?

Untill 5g and above solves
1- battery drain on client devices
2- wall penetration especially in countries like India
3- High data costs
4-Home broadband would always be prefered for stable low latency reliable workloads

4G/5G will always suffer speed issue with external factors like tower load, frequency, surroundings, etc.
WiFi would (mostly) provide stable connection throughout the day.

5G is supposed to solve the density and speed issues with 4G na?

Agreed about the other issues like battery drain.

@Lolita_Magnum I'm not comparing direct fixed wired connection... Just the wireless techs by themselves.

Maybe a scenario like 5G to the premises, then Wi-Fi for indoor intranet coverage which is what current home 5G broadband is doing... But what if 5G is fully exclusively used for last mile?

@AAK that's why I mentioned 5G and beyond, plus compared with SSD technology... SSD was initially panned for being costly and unreliable... Look at the situation now.

You may now change your vote thank you very much.

Thing is, 5G data will be expensive and I prefe the stability of wifi especially indoors. WiFi is also evolving towards faster and faster speeds that currently leave our internet connections in the dust.

5G may be faster on paper, but I prefer reliability too..infact for me it is priority 1. Flaky 5G mobile WAN connections are just not my thing.

Willing to be proved wrong but I will reserve a change in my opinion till experience says otherwise.

There's no way I can trust wifi as much as I do a wired connection. In some parts of the house mobile reception is quite bad.

@honey01 bro, internet shutdowns are applicable to both mobile and wired connections. These instructions basically cut off an entire area of a State or a city from the internet access via any medium. Why do you think they're not permitting StarLink? They want Musk to sign up to turn off the switch whenever the Govt. wants it. So far I see no sign Musk will agree. Hence no Star Link

Internet shutdowns don't affect Broadband. At least as far as I've experienced. My broadband never got cut off on any sort of shutdowns. In fact my friends come to my house to use internet whenever it happens 🤣