5G versus Wi-Fi? FIGHT!

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 6,587

5G versus Wi-Fi fight - who will win?

• Total voters
Forget 5G or 6G... In India we won't see true 5G or even 6G speed. It's just a gimmick. I saw people making videos on YouTube without any knowledge. Saying 700 MHz has speeds better than fiber and 5G is way faster than broadband blah blah... Man what are the expectations of people? They think 5G is a game changer? 🤣
It's just gonna be 10-20% faster than our current 4G that's all. Telcos will definitely apply a bandwidth cap after a certain speed. It will take years for us to see true 5G. Everyone talking about Cloud Gaming, AR, VR etc... Bhai 2 GB data me kya cloud gaming karega koi? 🤣🤣🤣

I think ppl raised this same question when 4G was being tested on Jio and folks were getting 50-150 mbps speed on phones. Even I thought I won’t need broadband connection anymore and those days I had a 2 mbps line.. Fast forward to 2020 (pre covid) and that broadband wifi was a saviour as average 4G speeds ranged from 1 mbps to 10 mbps for me..

But having said the above I believe both technologies will continue to coexist in the medium term because of their inherent use cases and advantages.. maybe a time will come when we have 6G or 7G when we can guarantee a minimum speed on mobile networks..

The true benefit of 5G will be available on private Corp networks say for transfer of data from one remote host to another, infra connectivity etc. We sods currently paying on an average mobile bill or recharge of Rs 200-400/month are going to get what we pay for i.e. marginally faster speeds and more expensive plan prices for 5G. 🙂 Be prepared to be squeezed. I hope I am wrong but I am too much of a sceptic when it comes to our service providers.

Yep I'm sceptical too... "I'll believe it when I see it".

Telco should give atleast 10-15 gb/day in 5G, else 2gb will end in few speed test if we get decent 5G. Data price will give answer of your question.

I think this will be a repeat of 4G wrt initial days and how the technology matures. With the latter, we have seen how speeds dwindled down to 1 Mbps and things only improved when they got additional spectrum in 2021.

While the technology is good, given the haphazard level of development and infrastructure in our country, I don't see much of improvements with technology evolving and more people start joining the 5G bandwagon*. Only time will tell how things work out, but I have been dismayed multiple times in the past.

BB will be here to stay as both have different use cases and different ways to resolve an issue. If 5Ghz speed on your main ONT is low due to range issues, you can simply add another router in AP and you are good to go. Kind off difficult to do the same on 5G mobile because you just cannot add a repeater anywhere.

* Provided it is affordable.

For outdoors i think speed would be upwards of 300mbps most of the time if connected band 78.
While for congested areas they'll use milli meter wave which more Indian phone will be loaded with over the time.
Jio will have edge 700mhz indoor coverage.
Expect data card plans with load of data in coming days giving tough competition to fiber.

Why does it seem impossible to me... You really think it'll even go 100+?

Our ISP's are nutritious for bandwidth capping...🤦😂

There can be a hybrid model with one outdoor CPE fixed and from there wired connection inside the room to wifi router. That would eliminate the need for having full wired network.
I have used Jio SIM in MR600 router with 2CA. Speeds were definitely good for the average user and it was enough to support 5-6 hrs continuous online classes with Zoom calls.