5G on Apple iPhone in India

• Thread starter Thread starter doineedto
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 6,881
ISP
Mach1 Broadband
Reliance Jio Mobile
I don't think that iPhone's would need any software update to enable 5G.
Apple support page states that once 5G network is available, the phone will connect to it, and cellular data options will be shown.

I don't think that iPhone's would need any software update to enable 5G.
Apple support page states that once 5G network is available, the phone will connect to it, and cellular data options will be shown.
I still believe a Carrier Update would be needed for iPhones 12 and up. That can be pushed by Airtel or Apple.

So I got 16.2 update on my iPhone 12 Mini.
But I don't see any 5G options in Mobile Network settings. Is it because VI Sim is inserted in that Phone?

Getting around 550 mbps down and 50-100 mbps up on my Airtel E-Sim. Getting a very good coverage of 5G signal across my house.
Device: iPhone 12 running on latest iOS 16.2 stable

Reactions: SVK
@SVK Vi (and BSNL of course) has not started 5G services yet. Only Airtel and Jio. Vi will take time they don't have the finances to push into the 5G space just yet.

@Chip I know VI has not started, and might not start 5G until their financial situation resolves.
But I was thinking I should see 5G option in phone setting irrespective of SIM card inserted.

@SVK Not sure about that maybe you can ask Apple support because unless Apple pushes an update which carrier specific as it did with Jio and Airtel it may not show up. And there will likely be no update till such time Vi indicates to Apple it is ready to go live with 5G

What you can do is try a confirmed 5G Jio or Airtel sim in your phone and check if you see the toggle switch.

Reactions: SVK