Airtel Rapid 80GB 8mbps only giving 6.7mbps

• Thread starter Thread starter anupam_luv
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 7,841

anupam_luv

ISP
Airtel
Recently I changed my plan from 4mbps to 8mbps (Rapid 80GB) but since then I am getting the speed of 6-7mbps .....

I am using D-Link DSL2750U modem, and have not change any setting after migrating to 8mbps.... do I need to change any setting after migration?

My Device info page says:

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 510
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 8063
LAN IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.1
MAC Address: 28:10:7b:3c:7b:3f
Default Gateway: ppp0
Primary DNS Server: 202.56.215.54
Secondary DNS Server: 122.160.120.57
LAN IPv6 Address:
Default IPv6 Gateway:

It seem that by line Downstream (Kbps):8063 , the dsl is getting the full speed.
I have tested the speed from My PC (Lan connected), my Galaxy Note (Wifi) and by Laptop (Wifi) .... all showing same speed of 6.4-6.9mbps only.... so I think its a probem with modem only...

See this:

Any suggestions ....

Complain to airtel. They should increase your both downstream and upstream rate

Not necessarily a modem issue. Could be related to airtel not having enough capacity in your area. Test using another modem though.

Umm, you're prolly using cable Internet and are inserting an rj45 into your PC, right? Inserting airtel s rj11 (normal phone line) into the pc (if the pc has a Port for it) would leave him with a dialup connection 😛

anupam - Man, are you lucky!I too migrated to the exact same plan last month and here is my story of woes:I initially got speed upto 7 mbps. Sometimes, it would climb upto 8 but was very inconsistent. It was not a terribly big issue for me because I did not expect the speed to remain constant, anyway. Then the speed started dropping to 2-3 mbps, even, 80 kbps, at times. On contacting Airtel, I was told to unplug all the modem wires, switch it off and restart it. That worked!For a while, anyway...For the speed would drop drastically every one-two hour and I would have to do the same excercise of removing the wires, restarting etc.Since, the last two days, however, the speed is on 1.25 mbps. Upon contacting airtel I was told something amazing - if I am getting 1 mbps speed I should be happy because it is good speed! But why am I paying for 8mbps, then?, I argued. Well, we don't promise 8mbps but 1-8 mbps, came the shocking answer. I spoke with two people and got the same response. I honestly think I'm being fleeced. While, I expect that there could be a slight drop in the speeds, getting 1mbps for 8mbps while paying for the latter is not amusing at all!I intend to speak to someone more senior before I get to a Consumer Protection Forum.P.S. I don't know if this has helped or not but it would be wiser to raise hell before things get even more... well, slower.

I usually avoid calling airtel and get most of the things done by myself, unless there's smthng wrong at their end. bec their ppl only visit for time pass here ....

@bandwagon ... omg feel srry for u, In my case when I was on 4mbps, I was constantly getting 4.6 smthng of speed for over an year.... and so I planned to move 8mbps, but Im in no mood to sacrifice my extra 1-2mbps of speed , so Im goin to call Airtel CC , lets see what they respond...

@bandwagon

Call them up and file a request for disconnection and see them dance to your tunes ;-)

Sounds like a good idea! Worth trying, at least.

Will keep everyone posted.

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 510
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 8063

With those stats, you will never see 8mbps. There is no room for overhead either. Call and complain. Your upload is also limited to less than 500kbps. Post your line stats. Attenuation, SNR etc.

I intend to speak to someone more senior before I get to a Consumer Protection Forum.
Don't wait. Go higher.

i would again be the jackass and remind people that isps in india are only required to deliver 80% of promised speeds at all times. though yeah, in this case, upstream rate is not right. and backend settings seems to be responsible for the problem. airtel usually tends to deliver more than advertised speeds. i get more than 4mbps on my connection pretty much all the time (when it's working 😀 ).