Airtel Rapid 80GB 8mbps only giving 6.7mbps

anupam_luv

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 28, 2010
Recently I changed my plan from 4mbps to 8mbps (Rapid 80GB) but since then I am getting the speed of 6-7mbps .....

I am using D-Link DSL2750U modem, and have not change any setting after migrating to 8mbps.... do I need to change any setting after migration?

My Device info page says:

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 510
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 8063
LAN IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.1
MAC Address: 28:10:7b:3c:7b:3f
Default Gateway: ppp0
Primary DNS Server: 202.56.215.54
Secondary DNS Server: 122.160.120.57
LAN IPv6 Address:
Default IPv6 Gateway:

It seem that by line Downstream (Kbps):8063 , the dsl is getting the full speed.
I have tested the speed from My PC (Lan connected), my Galaxy Note (Wifi) and by Laptop (Wifi) .... all showing same speed of 6.4-6.9mbps only.... so I think its a probem with modem only...

See this:

Any suggestions ....

x720

Incoherent Poster
Regulars
Aug 14, 2011
Gurgaon | Mumbai
Not necessarily a modem issue. Could be related to airtel not having enough capacity in your area. Test using another modem though.

x720

Incoherent Poster
Regulars
Aug 14, 2011
Gurgaon | Mumbai
Umm, you're prolly using cable Internet and are inserting an rj45 into your PC, right? Inserting airtel s rj11 (normal phone line) into the pc (if the pc has a Port for it) would leave him with a dialup connection :p

bandwagon

Sep 29, 2012
anupam - Man, are you lucky!I too migrated to the exact same plan last month and here is my story of woes:I initially got speed upto 7 mbps. Sometimes, it would climb upto 8 but was very inconsistent. It was not a terribly big issue for me because I did not expect the speed to remain constant, anyway. Then the speed started dropping to 2-3 mbps, even, 80 kbps, at times. On contacting Airtel, I was told to unplug all the modem wires, switch it off and restart it. That worked!For a while, anyway...For the speed would drop drastically every one-two hour and I would have to do the same excercise of removing the wires, restarting etc.Since, the last two days, however, the speed is on 1.25 mbps. Upon contacting airtel I was told something amazing - if I am getting 1 mbps speed I should be happy because it is good speed! But why am I paying for 8mbps, then?, I argued. Well, we don't promise 8mbps but 1-8 mbps, came the shocking answer. I spoke with two people and got the same response. I honestly think I'm being fleeced. While, I expect that there could be a slight drop in the speeds, getting 1mbps for 8mbps while paying for the latter is not amusing at all!I intend to speak to someone more senior before I get to a Consumer Protection Forum.P.S. I don't know if this has helped or not but it would be wiser to raise hell before things get even more... well, slower.

anupam_luv

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 28, 2010
I usually avoid calling airtel and get most of the things done by myself, unless there's smthng wrong at their end. bec their ppl only visit for time pass here ....