• Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,964

Kartik

Regular
ISP
Airtel
More space in the sky
GSAT-10 launch to help Tata Sky focus on Tamil Nadu, Kerala

As India’s latest satellite, the GSAT-10, launches into space on Saturday, Tata Sky will be breathing a sigh of relief. Constrained for space up in the sky so far, it will lay claim to quite a few transponders on the GSAT-10. The transponders, which will be operational from November onwards, will allow the DTH player to focus on two key markets that it had a weak presence in.

Tata Sky had so far carried around 200 channels on the Insat 4A satellite with 12 transponders. The additional transponders, which are expected to number 8-10, on the new satellite, will be able to carry 100 to 180 channels, depending on the compression rates at which the channels are beamed back (one transponder can carry around 20 standard definition channels or 10-11 high definition channels). The immediate benefit will be the improved number of channels for the Tamil Nadu and Kerala markets on the Tata Sky platform.

Tata Sky MD and CEO Harit Nagpal says, “We were never on the backfoot in most of the markets because of the space crunch. We did have to make a choice of whether to spread the content gap across the country or in a few states. So, we had chosen to concentrate our content gap on the two states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. That is because the difference between the number of regional channels needed in these two states and what we could have offered then was large to bridge. We were already strong in the other states. We can now stop making the trade-off and compete at par in these two major markets as well.”
Apart from the regional markets of Tamil Nadu and Kerala, Tata Sky will also line up more of its Active (value-added) channels and regional channels for other markets. As Devendra Parulekar, Partner, Ernst & Young, points out, “Regional channels for DTH players will become crucial for a level-playing field because that remains one of the biggest USPs of cable providers.”

The satellite beam will be in the same direction as its earlier satellite feed, so that once the satellite starts functioning in November, Tata Sky will not have to spend the 1-2 years needed to realign customers’ dish antennae to a new signal direction. Airtel had made a transition from one satellite (Insat 4CR) to another (SES 7) on ISRO’s recommendation last year because the latter promised a greater number of transponders. As a result Airtel Digital TV (DTH) has some of the highest numbers of channels with around 300 channels with 15 HD channels on offer. In the southern markets that Tata Sky plans to ramp up in, Airtel Digital TV already has a high number of channels, with 21 channels in Tamil and 14 in Malyalam, comparable to the numbers offered by Videocon D2H and Dish TV. Tata Sky has about three channels in Malyali (Kerala) and around 14 in Tamil (Tamil Nadu).

Shashi Arora, CEO - DTH/ Media, Bharti Airtel, says, "It is our endeavor to provide the best television viewing experience and we are in constant lookout for enhancing existing capacities. We have reached out to TRAI and ISRO for additional transponders and would be happy to have additional capacities either in GSAT 10 or any other satellite they may accommodate us on." Industry observers point out that for most players adding a couple of channels in the next six months will not be a challenge. But once cable is digitised, DTH might have to counter 500 or so channels offered by cable providers. The need for more transponders will be felt then in the years ahead.

Source : More space in the sky

Good News for South viewers, now all woes of less south regional channels will come to an end as Tata Sky will now add lots of regional channels mainly focusing on Tamil Nadu and Kerala.

I think we can expect 5 - 7 tamil channels...not sure on Malayalam channels...We can also expect HD channels too...

I think we can expect 5 - 7 tamil channels...not sure on Malayalam channels...

We can also expect HD channels too...
I doubt any significant increase in Regional channels.. forget about 5-7 Tamil channels. I would be surprised if they add 2 more channels by end of 2013.

They channel organization itself keeps max 10 channels for Telugu/Malayalam/Kannada & 20 for Tamil. This itself shows they don't care a sh*t about regional content 🙂. In case they add new Tamil channels I would prefer Discovery Tamil & Sun Life( No ads/no VJs songs channel)

I believe there will be more more HD channels added ( even they may become the highest HD channels providers)

I was totally wrong here. They added 3 tamil channels today. But not the channels that I wanted 🙂

Vasanth TV - Not interested in it...but these are the quality of tamil channels available in the market apart from Sun, Jaya, Raj, Vijay & Kalaignar channels....Jaya Max - Happy about the additionMurasu - Not that keen but for sure our elder generation will like it for sure...hence i dont mind the additiono Murasu...

So once again ISRO is depending on foriegn country.ISRO has completely failed with GSLV and hence clearly incapable of launching GSATs.Only rocket working for ISRO is PSLV.All the nations money on GSLV has gone waste after 15 years.

The universe wasn't created in a day my friend. Try try till you succeed. It will happen soon. 🙂 India has been researching, at-least they haven't bought/copied the technology from other countries.

Right. INSAT4C failed, INSAT4CR failed, GSAT4 failed, GSAT5P failed.ISRO has stopped trying. Last launch was in 2010, next planned is 2013.Clearly since last decade ISRO has made no progress technology wise. Additional there have been huge corruption charges as well which media didnt push further.