BSNL Broadband: Port Forwarding A Ut-300r2u

nightwolf2k5

local welder/Lobotomist
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 16, 2006
hmmm.. i hope this is the right place to ask.. i just got my bsnl ul900+ internet connection... n.. after licking my lips thinking abt the lightning fast downloads i could get, was really disaapointed with the speeds i end up getting using both bitcomet n utorrent..i heard something abt portforwading or "bridging connections" or something could help sort it out..can anybody guide me.. btw.. i have tried portforward.com.. it does not have instructions on my modem model..ok.. here r a few details that u might find helpful..os : win xp sp2modem : starcom ut-300r2uah.. thats abt it i guess..i'd be really really grateful if someone could gude me on this..

ogtripleog

Regular
Regulars
Sep 11, 2004
this is the right place to ask but u shudnt have posted the same thread at two different places :p anyway i posted a screenshot for u to configure ur modem in bridge mode

i have the same modem as u.. in 300rtu u have to create a virtual server for port forwarding.. or u can simply use the modem in bridge mode to do way with the hassle wink.gif
here is a screenshot :

http://www.geocities.com/bhinder_preet/Screenshot.png[/b]

nightwolf2k5

local welder/Lobotomist
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 16, 2006
dude.. ah.. i just did that.. my connection went dead.. :(just noticed.. u use Ubuntu.. hello fellow linux. mate.. unfortunately for me.. i use ubuntu more as a fun thingy..

ogtripleog

Regular
Regulars
Sep 11, 2004
hhhmm after configuring ur router in bridge mode, you need to create a connection in windows to dial from it.. go to control panel->network connections->create a new connection->select connect to the internet and click nextsetup my connection manually and nextselect broadband connection that requires a username and password and click nextenter any name for the isp name and next againenter ur username and password and then click on finishnow u have to dial the connection just like u wud any dialup connection before u surf :)im not using ubuntu it's gentoo - faster and more configurable just use windows to play games @chethancj the benefit of using ur modem in bridge mode is that it bypasses the internal firewal so u dont have to setup port forwarding and stuffedit : to make sure that no other modem settings are conflicting with ur new ones, it might be a good idea to backup all ur settings and then click on the restore to default option and then start from scratch.

nightwolf2k5

local welder/Lobotomist
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 16, 2006
well.. the speeds still look the same man.. i'll try it for a while.. n.. maybe after that.. let u know.. thanks a ton mate! :)

nightwolf2k5

local welder/Lobotomist
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 16, 2006
i dont think its the internal firewall thats making the speed slow man.. i still think a few more unblocked ports will do wonders.. i got sygate firewall and it disables the windows firewall..hmmm.. could u let me know how to forward ports mate? i'd be really grateful for that..

ogtripleog

Regular
Regulars
Sep 11, 2004
hhhmmm technically when u use the router in bridge mode its supposed to bypass the hardware firewall.. but here's how u forward ports in 300rtu anyway :-you have two options :A) create a virtual server : - login to the router goto advanced->virtual serverenter the ip address of ur computer.. if u are using only one computer and u are using the default settings this should generally be 192.168.1.3.. you can however verify by typing ipconfig in the command prompt.. enter the protocol u wanna forward for... i.e. imcp, udp or tcp and ton the destination port leave it selected as any.. u can create any number of virtual serversB)set ur computer in dmz :- this is wat i do... it will leave all the ports of ur computer open to the outside world.. people say it can be dangerous but i dont have any services running on them anyway so i use my computer this way.. goto advanced->dmz and again enter the ip address of ur computer (see above) hope this helps :)

nightwolf2k5

local welder/Lobotomist
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 16, 2006
thanks a ton man... but.. somehow.. even after all this.. utorrent reports the ports as closed.. :(could it be cuz of my sygate?