Simon Taufel to retire after World T20, take role of umpire performance and training manager

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 1,863

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
ICC news : Simon Taufel to retire after World Twenty20 | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

The Australian umpire Simon Taufel will step down from the ICC's elite panel at the end of the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka.

Taufel, 41, will take up the newly-created role of umpire performance and training manager with the ICC, a job that he hopes will allow him to spend more time at home in Sydney with his wife and children after nearly a decade of travelling the world as a match official. Taufel was named the ICC's Umpire of the Year five successive times from 2004 to 2008 and has remained one of the game's most respected umpires throughout his career.

Many like him and one of the best umpire in world cricket....I always like him with hat rather than with out the hat...

I guess the moment Kumara Dharmasena was adjudged the best umpire in this year's ICC awards, Taufel would have taken this decision 🙂Anyways he was one of the best umpires in cricket, he is retiring at a very young age of 41, at this age people start umpiring!

@Sabir I was just joking about it since the decision by ICC regarding umpire of the year was outrageous!

I realized that.. I was just pointing out that he would still be involved with ICC 🙂About retiring at an early age. It seems synchronous with many players choosing specific formats or tournaments. And worse still, being a small Elite panel, the umpires are always on the run, it was also bound to take a toll on them. I would have expected this to happen sooner or later (Umpires taking early retirements)

UNDOUBTEDLY the best umpire ICC has at the moment and for the past few years. Will certainly miss him on the cricket field.
Whenever I feel that a batsman was out or not out and the umpire gives it not out or out respectively, I spontaneously say, 'Kya faltoo umpire hai', but if it's Taufel then I quietly say to myself "Oops! I was wrong" 😉
He probably is the Dravid of the umpires' fraternity, everybody respects him.

and that other guy who signals 6 with an dance move 🙂

That would be Billy Bowden

Interestingly the person replacing Simon Taufel is 10 years older (Bruce Oxenford)

No.. Aleem Dar is born in 1968 & Younis in 1971.. So Younis is a duplicate of Aleem Dar 😛 Not to mention Asad Rauf/Ramiz Raja..And personally I have felt Kulasekara slightly resembles Dharmasena...

If i am correct i believe at some point of time he was the youngest umpire probably at the age of 34 or 35...First when i saw him in TV i liked him on his look but i hated because he is an Aussie...as many know that some of the Aussie umpire wantedly give wrong decision during Triangular SEries in Australia but this guy proved me wrong....and started to admire him for the past 4 - 5 years...I have been watching cricket for the last 20 - 21 years in TV....some of the things i like watching it: When our indian team takes a wicket my eyes used to look out for Sachin as i like the way he congradulates the bowler and catcher...currently same thing happening to me with Dhoni...Equally when bowlers and players appeals for out...i like to see simon taufel's nodding of head & i like his style of raising his finger...