Simon Taufel to retire after World T20, take role of umpire performance and training manager

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
ICC news : Simon Taufel to retire after World Twenty20 | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

The Australian umpire Simon Taufel will step down from the ICC's elite panel at the end of the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka.

Taufel, 41, will take up the newly-created role of umpire performance and training manager with the ICC, a job that he hopes will allow him to spend more time at home in Sydney with his wife and children after nearly a decade of travelling the world as a match official. Taufel was named the ICC's Umpire of the Year five successive times from 2004 to 2008 and has remained one of the game's most respected umpires throughout his career.

ajuravi007

Regulars
Regulars
Aug 11, 2006
Many like him and one of the best umpire in world cricket....I always like him with hat rather than with out the hat...

moindear

Internet addict!
Regulars
May 5, 2009
ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು
I guess the moment Kumara Dharmasena was adjudged the best umpire in this year's ICC awards, Taufel would have taken this decision :)Anyways he was one of the best umpires in cricket, he is retiring at a very young age of 41, at this age people start umpiring!

moindear

Internet addict!
Regulars
May 5, 2009
ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು
@Sabir I was just joking about it since the decision by ICC regarding umpire of the year was outrageous!

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
I realized that.. I was just pointing out that he would still be involved with ICC :)About retiring at an early age. It seems synchronous with many players choosing specific formats or tournaments. And worse still, being a small Elite panel, the umpires are always on the run, it was also bound to take a toll on them. I would have expected this to happen sooner or later (Umpires taking early retirements)

AbhishekMSharma

Regulars
Jul 11, 2011
Mumbai, India
UNDOUBTEDLY the best umpire ICC has at the moment and for the past few years. Will certainly miss him on the cricket field.
Whenever I feel that a batsman was out or not out and the umpire gives it not out or out respectively, I spontaneously say, 'Kya faltoo umpire hai', but if it's Taufel then I quietly say to myself "Oops! I was wrong" ;)
He probably is the Dravid of the umpires' fraternity, everybody respects him.