New connection wiring

shiningstar79

[OP]
Sep 25, 2012
Hi Guys,I am new to this forum and planning to shift to mtnl triband. The combo plan 495 seems to be good.However, I have a worry, does mtnl install the modem right to your desktop as in if the landline is in the hall and desktop in bedroom, how do they pull wires to the bedroom? do the lineman themselves will do this or we need to do this? also, if the wiring is concealed in the house, what's the solution? Pardon my ignorance but I don't understand the concept of a wifi modem that mtnl gives. The modem will be connected to wire going to the landline after this what and how it functions. Simply put, will a desktop support wifi modem if there is no wifi adapter inbuilt?ThanksDev..

blazer

Regular
Regulars
Jun 29, 2011
The modem wire directly goes inside the ethernet port, if you have a wifi router there will be 2 routers on your desktop (one mtnl and 1 of the wifi router) and about the wiring part if the wires are concealed in the house they will put a plastic tape across the room and cover the wires or you should have multiple access point for mtnl phone lines.

shiningstar79

[OP]
Sep 25, 2012
ok buddy, so it means installation charges covers the wiring right till the desktop or you have to pay extra for it?

blazer

Regular
Regulars
Jun 29, 2011
Dude the wiring is done by your local electrician, MTNL babus won't do the wiring, they will just install the router that's it.:)

shiningstar79

[OP]
Sep 25, 2012
oh is it ? do you think anyone will actually take the pain to get the wiring done all by himself by paying another 500rs to electrician and giving 500+300 to mtnl for registration+CPE one time and move onto mtnl.....this is really pathetic....any vendor who charges for installation wires right to the desktop so whether its in the hall or your bedroom....so here it makes me drop to move to mtnl....hassles!! :( i would rather pay 200 bucks extra and upgrade to 1mbps from my current provider....

shatrughan

Regular
Regulars
Dec 10, 2007
oh is it ? do you think anyone will actually take the pain to get the wiring done all by himself by paying another 500rs to electrician and giving 500+300 to mtnl for registration+CPE one time and move onto mtnl.....this is really pathetic....any vendor who charges for installation wires right to the desktop so whether its in the hall or your bedroom....so here it makes me drop to move to mtnl....hassles!! :( i would rather pay 200 bucks extra and upgrade to 1mbps from my current provider....

I thnk u shld check plan DTS 550 combo unlimited which will offer u 512kbps(8am to 6 pm) and 1mbps(6pm to 8am)

shiningstar79

[OP]
Sep 25, 2012
yes i mistakenly mentioned 495 plan, it's 550 plan which i liked but the hassle of installing, router config, etc turns me off...i wish if mtnl can do all wiring till my desktop....then it's not a problem at all....

x720

Incoherent Poster
Regulars
Aug 14, 2011
Gurgaon | Mumbai
Do you have internal wiring at your place? Are you using another isp as of now? Also, the wifi modem router provided by Mtnl is a single instrument ie modem router combo

shiningstar79

[OP]
Sep 25, 2012
router is not a problem my current setup is hathway with netgear router which i have myself setup ...so i can set it up with mtnl modem also.....but the wiring obstacle turns me off....when we are paying the installation charges, atleast they should do internal wiring on the walls till the computer in the bedroom right? i dont want to call the local guy to wire from hall where the telephone is kept to the bedroom...these guys r really dumb....they wont even know wht is rj45 ethernet cable....i have concealed wiring and hathway drops their cables outside the flat in electric box frm where it comes directly in bedroom thro concealed wiring...not sure if anyone in my society is using mtnl and if they have such setup here

sachinbr

Regular
Regulars
Apr 27, 2011
Don't worry be cool MTNL guys have certain meters of free wirings beyond that they will charge per meter, Stay Calm