Tata Sky DTH getting Colors HD from October 8 2012

• Thread starter Thread starter Kartik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 10,401
I still can't fathom why having or not having colors HD should be such a big issue?

I too received the call; the executive mentioned there are several HD channels on the timeline and they'll be launched shortly. He too told me that prior to 8th Oct, one has to subscribe to the SD version of a channel to get the HD counterpart. Therefore, the current HD package would be renamed as HD charge/fee or something and will remain the same, no changes on that.When I asked him about the yearly subscription, he said the same thing and even verified with his seniors. I don't know how much true that is, but I will verify this with a Nodal officer and go with an yearly subscription if that doesn't change anything; at least for now.

OK this is what I got on search.

Colors HD on Tata Sky from 8th OCT
How to View HD Content on Tata Sky
1. Effective 8 Oct 2012 there will be a change in the way a subscriber will be able to view HD content on Tata Sky. The subscribers will no longer need to subscribe to HD Gold Pack or the HD ALC channels. Instead, the subscribers will need to pay HD Access Fee which will authorize them to view all HD channels for the standard feed channels they are holding. Subject to Tata Sky offering the HD feed of those channels.

2. All Base Packs, except Mega Pack, will be affected with this change. All subs (except Mega pack subs) will need to pay HD Access Fee @ Rs100 pm. As a result of which, for all SD channels they are holding by way of Base Pack, Add on and ALC, they will be able to view the HD content as well. In case of Mega Pack we have distinct products being offered to subscribers which either offer or do not offer HD content, hence these subscribers will not see any change.

3. With HD Access Fee functionality going live there are some subscribers who will lose content.
o For instance, Dhamaal Mix pack subs with HD Gold Pack who are not holding the corresponding SD channels, will no longer be able to view Star Cricket HD, ESPN HD, Star World HD & Star Movies HD.

4. There is a base of 2 lac such subscribers who will be impacted by this change. To ensure a smooth transition we will call out these subscribers to handhold them to subscribe to the appropriate content, such that they do not experience any loss of content on the day of switch over, i.e 8 Oct. Calling starts on Sunday- 23 Sep. This may also result in some cases where the subscribers call back with queries or some more handholding. Would request you to keep all teams prepared for appropriate handling of these calls or any other support that may be needed.

FAQs- Change in 'How to View HD Content' on Tata Sky

What is the change in the way to view HD content on Tata Sky?
Current Method: To view HD content on Tata Sky the subscriber needs to subscribe to the HD Gold Pack or subscribe to the ALC HD Channel he wishes to view.
New Method: Effective 8 Oct 2012 there will be a change in the way a subscriber will be able to view HD content on Tata Sky. The subscriber will need to pay HD Access Fee which will authorise him to view all HD channels for the standard feed channels that the subscriber is holding.
Subject to Tata Sky offering the HD feed of those channels.

What is "HD Access Fee" ?
HD Access fee is a flat monthly fee which will allow the subscribers to watch HD content on Tata Sky. Going forward, to watch HD content subscribers will need to:
- Pay HD Access Fee and
- Subscribe to the Standard Definition channels for all channels they wish to watch in HD
Once both these conditions are satisfied the subscribers will be able to watch their selected channels in HD

When is this change happening?
Tata Sky is very happy to launch the most awaited HD Channel -COLORS HD on 8 Oct 2012. The switch over to HD Access Fee will also happen on 8 Oct with the launch of COLORS HD.

What are the HD Access fee charges?
HD Access Fee is a charge of Rs 100 pm.

Is there any option for the customer to go for Semi Annual and Annual HD Access Fee? If yes, what is the price?
Yes, subscribers do have an option of taking long duration for HD Access fee. Semi Annual @ Rs600 pm, Annual at Rs1200 pm.

Example: The subscriber is on Dhamaal Mix Pack and holding Star Cricket HD & Star Movies HD ALC Channels but does not have the Standard Definition version of these channels. How will such a subscriber be affected post the change to HD Access Fee?
With the change to HD Access Fee the subscriber will need to do any of the following to continue enjoying the channels in HD:
- Pay HD Access Fee &
- Subscribe to Star Cricket ALC & Star Movies ALC in Standard Definition
Once he satisfies both conditions he will be ble to view the two channels in HD as well.

Will a subscriber on ALC Basic also need to pay HD Access Fee?
Yes, all ALC Basic subscribers will also need to pay HD Access Fee to continue enjoying the HD channels for the standard feed channels they hold.

Will Mega HD Pack/ Mega South HD Pack subscribers also need to pay HD Access Fee?
The Mega HD & Mega South HD Pack subscribers continue to enjoy all channels they enjoy currently without any change in their packaging.

How many channels will HD Access Fee offer?
HD Access Fee does not offer any HD Channel. It only allows the access to watch HD channels if you are holding them in SD.

What if a subscriber is paying HD Access fee but does not hold the corresponding Standard Feed Content?
If a subscriber is paying HD Access Fee & not holding the relevant content in SD, he will not be able to watch the HD feed of the channels.

What happens if a subscriber is paying HD Access fee and decides to change his base pack? What is the change in content he will view?
In case a subscriber decides to change his Base pack e.g. From Grand Sports to Dhamaal Mix, In this case while the subscriber was on Grand Sports he was enjoying all the current HD channels on Tata Sky. With the change to Dhamaal Mix Pack the subscriber will no longer enjoy the HD Sports channels (Star Cricket HD, ESPN Hd) , Star Gold HD & Star Movies HD. If he wishes to watch these channels in HD he will need to subscribe to the SD ALC channels.

OK this is what I got on search.

Colors HD on Tata Sky from 8th OCT
How to View HD Content on Tata Sky
1. Effective 8 Oct 2012 there will be a change in the way a subscriber will be able to view HD content on Tata Sky. The subscribers will no longer need to subscribe to HD Gold Pack or the HD ALC channels. Instead, the subscribers will need to pay HD Access Fee which will authorize them to view all HD channels for the standard feed channels they are holding. Subject to Tata Sky offering the HD feed of those channels.

2. All Base Packs, except Mega Pack, will be affected with this change. All subs (except Mega pack subs) will need to pay HD Access Fee @ Rs100 pm. As a result of which, for all SD channels they are holding by way of Base Pack, Add on and ALC, they will be able to view the HD content as well. In case of Mega Pack we have distinct products being offered to subscribers which either offer or do not offer HD content, hence these subscribers will not see any change.

3. With HD Access Fee functionality going live there are some subscribers who will lose content.
o For instance, Dhamaal Mix pack subs with HD Gold Pack who are not holding the corresponding SD channels, will no longer be able to view Star Cricket HD, ESPN HD, Star World HD & Star Movies HD.

4. There is a base of 2 lac such subscribers who will be impacted by this change. To ensure a smooth transition we will call out these subscribers to handhold them to subscribe to the appropriate content, such that they do not experience any loss of content on the day of switch over, i.e 8 Oct. Calling starts on Sunday- 23 Sep. This may also result in some cases where the subscribers call back with queries or some more handholding. Would request you to keep all teams prepared for appropriate handling of these calls or any other support that may be needed.

FAQs- Change in 'How to View HD Content' on Tata Sky

What is the change in the way to view HD content on Tata Sky?
Current Method: To view HD content on Tata Sky the subscriber needs to subscribe to the HD Gold Pack or subscribe to the ALC HD Channel he wishes to view.
New Method: Effective 8 Oct 2012 there will be a change in the way a subscriber will be able to view HD content on Tata Sky. The subscriber will need to pay HD Access Fee which will authorise him to view all HD channels for the standard feed channels that the subscriber is holding.
Subject to Tata Sky offering the HD feed of those channels.

What is "HD Access Fee" ?
HD Access fee is a flat monthly fee which will allow the subscribers to watch HD content on Tata Sky. Going forward, to watch HD content subscribers will need to:
- Pay HD Access Fee and
- Subscribe to the Standard Definition channels for all channels they wish to watch in HD
Once both these conditions are satisfied the subscribers will be able to watch their selected channels in HD

When is this change happening?
Tata Sky is very happy to launch the most awaited HD Channel -COLORS HD on 8 Oct 2012. The switch over to HD Access Fee will also happen on 8 Oct with the launch of COLORS HD.

What are the HD Access fee charges?
HD Access Fee is a charge of Rs 100 pm.

Is there any option for the customer to go for Semi Annual and Annual HD Access Fee? If yes, what is the price?
Yes, subscribers do have an option of taking long duration for HD Access fee. Semi Annual @ Rs600 pm, Annual at Rs1200 pm.

Example: The subscriber is on Dhamaal Mix Pack and holding Star Cricket HD & Star Movies HD ALC Channels but does not have the Standard Definition version of these channels. How will such a subscriber be affected post the change to HD Access Fee?
With the change to HD Access Fee the subscriber will need to do any of the following to continue enjoying the channels in HD:
- Pay HD Access Fee &
- Subscribe to Star Cricket ALC & Star Movies ALC in Standard Definition
Once he satisfies both conditions he will be ble to view the two channels in HD as well.

Will a subscriber on ALC Basic also need to pay HD Access Fee?
Yes, all ALC Basic subscribers will also need to pay HD Access Fee to continue enjoying the HD channels for the standard feed channels they hold.

Will Mega HD Pack/ Mega South HD Pack subscribers also need to pay HD Access Fee?
The Mega HD & Mega South HD Pack subscribers continue to enjoy all channels they enjoy currently without any change in their packaging.

How many channels will HD Access Fee offer?
HD Access Fee does not offer any HD Channel. It only allows the access to watch HD channels if you are holding them in SD.

What if a subscriber is paying HD Access fee but does not hold the corresponding Standard Feed Content?
If a subscriber is paying HD Access Fee & not holding the relevant content in SD, he will not be able to watch the HD feed of the channels.

What happens if a subscriber is paying HD Access fee and decides to change his base pack? What is the change in content he will view?
In case a subscriber decides to change his Base pack e.g. From Grand Sports to Dhamaal Mix, In this case while the subscriber was on Grand Sports he was enjoying all the current HD channels on Tata Sky. With the change to Dhamaal Mix Pack the subscriber will no longer enjoy the HD Sports channels (Star Cricket HD, ESPN Hd) , Star Gold HD & Star Movies HD. If he wishes to watch these channels in HD he will need to subscribe to the SD ALC channels.

is this your own creation or ???

If this news is true..then really its a sh*t from TS....This move will make sure that TS HD customers end up in paying Rs. 500 PM

Some guy on another forum which I googled has written these words . he is the thread starter there and he has posted same info .. below are his comments from another forum and not mine :-

i get this news from more.Tata Sky.com. This site is only for tatasky employees

Just yesterday I upgraded SD box to HD, and getting this news!

For now I am getting all HD channel as they have given HD Gold Pack (a trap for future) free for 1 month. In that I am getting Star Movies HD and Star World HD, which are not in my base pack.

Now need to sit down and decide on channel packs if they really implement HD Access Fee thing next month. Anyhow monthly charge is going to be above 400 I guess for me.

Yap, same source for me

Any changes for mega/ mega lite?

As mentioned above no changes in Mega pack.. rest all will be affected..

Call is not for addition of a channel; to inform in advance and soften the blow that some channels in hd will be blocked for the called customer.

But y r they calling the users? Its not the first time they r adding any HD channel ..
I never got any call for any of the new channel which got added in past ..