Mobile operator in Mumbai / Maharashtra circle with decent 3G ?

rak007

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 10, 2009
Mumbai <--> Pune
Thanks to Failtel who deactivated and recycled my prepaid number few months back, I will now have to get a new mobile phone number in either Mumbai or Maharashtra circle (after 2 months). I use only prepaid mostly because of lesser calls and very less SMS messages. But I am interested in getting a 3G connection for the number I will be getting. The phone will be used in Pune and Mumbai so I would prefer something which has 3G in both these circles. Which operator should I opt for ? The operator should have decent 3G connectivity and decent plans. Unlimited usage on 2G after 3G quota is over would be great but not really required.

rak007

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 10, 2009
Mumbai <--> Pune
What happens if i am in an area where i cannot get 3G signals so i force my phone to use only 2G EDGE, will be 3G quota still be used ?On a related query, if i exhaust my 3G quota then is it unlimited 2G for the rest of the cycle on MTNL or my internet totally stops ?

x720

Incoherent Poster
Regulars
Aug 14, 2011
Gurgaon | Mumbai
Yes. Once you're subscribed to a 3G data pack, usage is counted across both 2G and 3G networks. Depending on your budget Mtnl has no fup unlimited plans, iirc, but once you finish off your quota on a limited plan, you will charged at re1 per mb. There is no provision for unlimited 2g. On the other hand, you could get a bsnl sim from Maharashtra as they've got fup based plans with unlimited 2g, but no truly unlimited plan. Mtnl, I believe, has a plan which treats Mumbai and maharashtra as one circle, and was the basis of my recommendation.

IndianMascot

Addicts
Regulars
Jun 17, 2011
Vodafone can be the best option as of now in Mumbai. I am getting coverage almost every where in Western suburbs.

rak007

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 10, 2009
Mumbai <--> Pune
Vodafone can be the best option as of now in Mumbai. I am getting coverage almost every where in Western suburbs.

And when I go to Pune, I will still be able to use 3G on Vodafone network right ?

rak007

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 10, 2009
Mumbai <--> Pune
I guess Vodafone is a better bet out of the two. I know its network is good and the 250 Rs / 1GB plan seems to be good for the usual mail, forums etc.